Petzval_header_october_2014

The Silent Thriller: Nosferatu (1922)

The blood-thirsty vampire is certainly one of the most terrifying creatures ever to be born out of man's imagination. Nosferatu, the 1922 silent thriller loosely based from a classic 1897 novel, remains one of the most spine-tingling films depicting vampires.

Folklore and legends all over the world have long warned people of a blood-sucking demon, commonly known until the present as the vampire. Many tales and early literary works drew inspiration from such grisly tales. However, it was Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel entitled Dracula that became the standard for all things vampiric.

Max Schreck as Count Orlok. Photo via Moniqueblog

No wonder the classic novel inspired German director F.W. Murnau to create one of the earliest vampire movies ever to terrify moviegoers—the 1922 silent film Nosferatu. However, as the film was an unofficial adaptation of the novel, the names and details were changed; “nosferatu” was used instead of “vampire”, and “Count Orlok” was used instead of “Count Dracula”.

Nosferatu brought to life the fears of many, with Max Schreck’s portrayal of Count Orlok not only remembered as one of the scariest vampires ever, but also becoming the stuff nightmares are made of—jagged teeth, long nails, pale skin, coffin, and all.

Watch the classic silent film in full below:

Sources and additional readings:

Nosferatu on Wikipedia
Dracula on Wikipedia
Vampire on Wikipedia

Will you include Nosferatu on your list of classic horror movies? Tell us why through a comment below!

written by plasticpopsicle

1. tattso

tattso

This is my all time favorite!

2. superlighter

superlighter

I hope Nosferatu made a visit to this f*@%*, spammer!
    however, I've seen this film so many time, fascinating! I must say that I love also the Klaus Kinsky interpretation of the vampire in the Herzog remake and the great soundtrack of the Popol Vuh.

3. vicuna

vicuna

Absolutely Cult stunning wonderful masterpiece!!!!! :)))

4. buckshot

buckshot

I worked as a set-painter in Luxembourg on 'Shadow of the Vampire' - a movie starring Willem Dafoe as Count Orlok and John Malkovich as the director, Murnau, that tells the strange story behind the making of 'Nosferatu', during which several cast and crew members mysteriously disappeared or even died. More about this movie is available on IMDb here: http://www.imdb.com/(…)/tt0189998/

5. sthomas68

sthomas68

old school vampire tales are way better than contemporary imo

6. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

@tattso I thought so, along with "Eyes Without a Face", I bet! :)

@superlighter I got intrigued and Googled that...that 1979 Nosferatu film looks good too!

@vicuna & @sthomas68 I agree, way better indeed than most, especially that Edward Cullen crap. Ugh.

@buckshot That's cool, I want to watch that one as well!

Thanks for the likes and comments, everyone!

7. stouf

stouf

Love it ! : )

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch.