Petzval_header_october_2014_en

Them and Their Cameras: Female Photographers in the Movies

These females (girls and ladies, alike) are not just charming and pretty -- they are analogue enthusiasts as well! Take a look at the most loveliest female photographers found in movie reels!

Last week, male hormones reigned as masculine protagonists and their majestic cameras were showcased in the first installment of Them and Their Cameras: Male Photographers in the Movies. Now, let us explore the movies’ heroines and their fabulous cameras!

In relation to the Best of the Best series, which also featured some of the most disarming female photographers in history (like Diane Arbus, Helen Levitt, Julia Margaret Cameron), here is another tribute to women who have infinite love affairs with their cameras.

The young Amelie in Amelie, 2001

image via oneoftheindiegirls

Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz in Beetlejuice, 1988

image via stylecaster

Kirsten Dunst as Nicole Oakley in Crazy/Beautiful, 2001 (featuring an original LC-A in the first photo)

Julia Roberts as Anna in Closer, 2004

image via cinematicpassions

Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus in Fur, 2006

image via nicolekidmanunited

Dianna Agron as Sarah in I Am Number Four, 2011

image via nikonrumors.com

Aoi Miyazaki as Shizuru Satonaka in Tada, Kimi Wo Aishiteru, 2006

image via flixster

Juliette Binoche as Tereza in Unbearable Lightness of Being, 1988

image via flickr

Penelope Cruz as Maria Elena and Scarlett Johansson as Cristina in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, 2008

images via leflassh and kpraslowicz

Which of these (non)-fictional photographers do you like most and why? What other films portray stories about female photographers? Perhaps you can find a film still of them and their cameras, too? Share it with us a comment below.

written by basterda

1. thewretched

thewretched

Out of the selection, i think Amilie has to be my favourite. She's sporadic, imaginative, unconventional... everything a Lomographer should be!

2. awesomesther

awesomesther

I love Sarah in I am Number Four :) but yes Amelie is really one intriguing character! Love them :)

3. susielomovitz

susielomovitz

I want all the cameras and Nicole Kidman's dresses :P.

4. clickiemcpete

clickiemcpete

Oh, Amelie was such a cool movie and she is an enchanting character. But mostly I hate new movies as they are usually terribly boring and derivative or full of disturbing violence. And they are mostly over edited and too slick. I generally prefer old movies especially pre 1960's.

5. pomps

pomps

I love Amelie, how adorable! Also Beetlejuice is great. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is one of my favorite books but I haven't seen the movie

6. webo29

webo29

Maria Heiskanen in Everlasting Moments - http://en.wikipedia.(…)ing_Moments

7. anarollemberg

anarollemberg

The movie mentioned by @webo29 is a great one. I've watched it last week and loved it! I was going to write an article about it... maybe I'll still do it. Oh, and Amélie is my favorite movie of all time, so... that's an easy choice for me.

8. gelibee

gelibee

Hi @basterda! I love love love Nicole Kidman! Btw, this looks like an interesting movie to watch http://www.metacafe.(…)ie_trailer/ :)

9. webo29

webo29

Gwyneth Paltrow in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow http://www.skycaptai(…)80x1024.jpg

10. nural

nural

I loved Crazy Beautiful!!! I should maybe watch it again tonight!!!

11. nicolas_noir

nicolas_noir

@webo29 Yes at Sky Captain! She comes out with some great quotes in that too! I like her rationing of film best!

12. grazie

grazie

Hi @basterda! I'll have to pick Winona Ryder as Lydia in Beetlejuice!

13. lusisilu

lusisilu

from these Amélie and Penélope
    but from other, Liv Ullmann as Elisabeth Vogler in persona admittedly.

14. freckleface

freckleface

I LOVE Woody Allen! Even though Vicky Christina isn't one of his best works, I'm still gonna have to go with it. Close tie with Amelie nevertheless...

15. street_smile

street_smile

Lydia Deetz from beetlejuice, I watched it recently, so funny
    Parents: Don't worry Lydia, we'll build you a darkroom.
    Lydia: MY WHOLE LIFE IS A DARKROOM
    she was also rocking the Polaroid =)

16. annie_fannie

annie_fannie

Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus in 'Fur' was fantastic!
  17. ilovefridays

ilovefridays

Very inspiring. Dianna Agron is reaaally pretty.
  18. eatmepamcy

eatmepamcy

Amelie and Anna in Closer! <3 I love this article!!
  19. cynthiadias

cynthiadias

Forgot Natalie Portman in Where the Heart Is :P
  20. devildi

devildi

my fav is amèlie .... :-)

21. pussylove

pussylove

Juliette Binoche is so beautiful, taking photos while crying... Also like the LCA with Kirsten Dunst!

22. shelbydoo32

My faves are Christina/Maria Elena and Diane Arbus. :) But you forgot Natalie Portman in Where The Heart Is!!!!
  23. shelbydoo32

I just realize Diane Arbus wasn't on this lost... Rather an actress named Dianna Agron.. Oh well, you also forgot Nocole Kidmin ad Diane Arbus!
  24. shelbydoo32

Omg, she's the first one.... I am now done commenting.
  25. elisear

Julie Deply in 2 days in Paris. I couldn't find an actual still of her taking photos, but here is a clip where she says something very interesting. On her vacation she wants to live in the moment, instead her boyfriend digitally captures every moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhpej_OMKk
  26. daihowell

daihowell

This is a fantastic artical :)
    One of the best things you could ever read on a Saturday morning, its put me in a really good mood so thank you ^_^. But I would like to suggest Jennifer Connelly as Maddy Bowen in blood diamond to this list.

27. wn7ant

wn7ant

Gwenyth Paltrow as Polly Perkins in Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow. She ran into ever photographers nightmare. That is, I'm doing something unbelievable, I want to document it, I have 3 pictures left in my camera, and I forgot more film. I love the character in that movie. She's beautiful, classy, intelligent, and skilled at what she does. She gets my vote.

28. erizone

erizone

"Eyes of Laura Mars" of course - such a classic!
  29. fredericomalaca

fredericomalaca

Scarlett Johansson + Leica , uff what a combination!
  30. f64view

f64view

Candice Bergen as Margaret Bourke-White from Gandhi and I agree with fredericomalaca...Scarlett Johansson + Leica... world class woman, world class camera
  31. kisaki

kisaki

I love Crazy/Beautiful: the cameras and what she does with the photos (her journal). :D

32. cehall422

cehall422

i love these articles, now i have some ideas of movies to get on netflix =)
  33. anhvu

anhvu

You forgot Susie Salmon in The lovely bones!
  34. thelonghaulproject

thelonghaulproject

Anyone notice how many strong, amazing, inspiring female characters shoot film? Love it!
  35. nick_a_tron

nick_a_tron

Amelie is a true Lomographer! I loved that film so much I named my daughter after her.

36. is_it

is_it

Amelie because i am half french and the director makes wonderful pics. otherwise Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus: simply because she only looks like diane arbus if pictured with an antic diana and overexposed hahahaha
  37. deus

deus

Who can ever forget Laura MArs? http://www.thefancarpet.com/uploaded_assets/images/gallery/3762/Eyes_of_Laura_Mars_35450_Medium.jpg
  38. deus

deus

[img]http://www.thefancarpet.com/uploaded_assets/images/gallery/3762/Eyes_of_Laura_Mars_35450_Medium.jpg[/img]
  39. ahleng90

ahleng90

i've watched all of them and feeling like shoot shoot shoot right now..haha..great article

40. hotweinerdog

hotweinerdog

I love Unbearable Lightness of Being and Juliette Binoche's character because the camera is an illustration of her growth and strength. She learns to live outside of the shadow of Thomas. Crazy/Beautiful was wonderful too-Kirsten Dunst's character's interest in analogue seemed so out of context with our culture (even when the film was shot).
  41. gelagoo

gelagoo

Yay Miyazaki Aoi! :D

42. cynthiadias

cynthiadias

My favorite is Joanna Eberhart in Stepford Wives (1975). We want the second part of the post!
  43. basterda

basterda

Will definitely include The Lovely Bones' Susie Salmon when I update this article. Thanks for the input everyone! :)

44. hanibale

hanibale

very nice article

45. missnothing

missnothing

Lilo in Lilo&Stitch! She is the Disney's little photographer!

46. shiseiten

shiseiten

Tada Kimi wo Aishiteru! It's one of my all time favorite Japanese movies. So heartbreaking. And the Nikon in I Am Number Four is the same version that I have. :D

47. webo29

webo29

Anki Lidén as Ingemar's mother in My Life as a Dog.

48. mikeman85

mikeman85

I absolutely am in love with Nicole Kidman's Rolleiflex in Fur. And the what looks like Hasselblad Julie Robert's uses in Closer. Both camera's I frequently fantasize about one day owning, (if only there were more affordable for a young designer like myself, oh some day some day).

49. superawesomebigelow

superawesomebigelow

Amanda Peet in A Lot Like Love. She took awesome long exposures.

50. myvitaminx

myvitaminx

nicole kidman rulz!

51. basterda

basterda

@superawesomebigelow Amanda Peet in A Lot Like Love was defiinitely on my list but I couldn't find a decent screen capture of her holding a camera. :(

52. okashii

okashii

I haven't seen all of them - I loved Dunst in Crazy/beautiful as a teenager but I have to go with Amelie...and thanks for all the movie-suggestions!

53. vanecorp

vanecorp

Luv this article.. But, you forgot Michelle Forbes in Kalifornia

54. basterda

basterda

OMG @vanecorp THANK YOU for reminding me Kalifornia!

55. xkelx

xkelx

my favourites are amélie poulin and diane arbus.
    diane arbus was an incredible photographer, and nicole kidman is such a talented actress. i like amélie because i have the same kodak instamatic, and i think for obvious reasons, every girl has a little amélie inside.
    there's some scene about vicky christina barcelona where she's shooting in digital and then you see her developing the supposed negatives or something like that and i remembered not liking that at the time i saw the movie...
    have to check crazy/beautiful, and some others too!

56. xkelx

xkelx

oh and there's Marion Cotillard - Josephine Bloom in Big Fish, although she has a little role in the film, which is one of my favourites ever... she has a leica m6 : )

57. katey_finley

katey_finley

The character Lucy Berliner from the movie High Art is based on Nan Goldin, whose style meshes well will the lomo philosophy.

58. kathleenmendoza

kathleenmendoza

My favorite would be Aoi Miyazaki! <3

59. fed

fed

Very interesting! Nicole kidman look absolutly gorgeous in "Fur", although very unlike the photographer she is based on, Diane Arbus!
    I just noticed another "lomographer" caracter on film, Eddie Redmayne´s caracter Gordy from"The Yellow Handkerchief". There´s a scene where he is asking for an expired disposable camera that because it´s "better". Then you see him smashing it on the ground and stepping on it so light leaks would occur. Really felt I could relate with the character after that.

60. emmainwonderland

emmainwonderland

My favourite would definitely be Maria Larson as Maria Heiskanen in 'Everlasting Moments.' Set in the tough world of early 20th century Sweden, it's a beautiful film telling the poor and sometimes tragic life of Heiskanen, until one day she wins a Contessa accordian camera. Hidden for years from her bullying husband and ever-growing brood of children, she tries to sell it and instead finds a mentor at the photography shop/studio and a whole new skill, which she quickly turns into a way to make money to feed her near-starving children, fuelling her new-found independance and creativity - until her husband finds out... A simply amazing film which has really had a positive impact on me.
  61. emmainwonderland

emmainwonderland

...Also worth mentioning is 'Riding the Bus With My Sister', a true story in which we see, through the wonderful medium of B&W film, how beautiful people really are on the inside, despite their problems or disabilities. Andie MacDowell is the older, successful, sophisticated sister and in the film she is also a fashion photographer who turns her lens onto the people in her mentally disabled sister's life (a role made up for the film, but it works!)
  62. tbblogger

I am so glad to see Fur get a mention - before joining this site, had i said Diane Arbus or Fur to anyone i would have been repsponded to with a blank stare

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Português, Türkçe, ภาษาไทย, Deutsch, 中文(繁體版), Spanish, Français, 中文(繁體版), 한국어 & Italiano.