How I Let Loose with Lomography

Truth be told, I have always been the kind of person to keep count of everything. You know, the OCD type. Always making sure everything is in proper order, making sure I keep track of the money I’m spending, saving it, and contemplating that I don’t waste it in things that aren’t necessary. This all changed in February 2010, the day I met Lomography.

Photo by reneg88

I was wandering about in an Urban Outfitters store, when I stumbled across a section of Lomography cameras. The box alone was calling out and catching my eye so I just went and grabbed it. I was unsure about buying it, since I had never owned a film camera, and knew absolutely nothing about it. Plus I wasn’t sure if I wanted to pay $30 or $40 on a toy camera. But I was on vacation, and I hadn’t really ‘treated’ myself to anything I really wanted, so I set aside my strict, money saving personality, and went ahead and bought it. Since then, nothing’s been the same.

Lomography opened my eyes to the world that surrounded me every day. I quickly started noticing details in routines that I had never been aware of. Having my cameras on me, ready to shoot all of the time, actually changed my routines. I started visiting places I would always pass by, but never go in to find out what treasures were hidden inside. I started traveling around my own town, as I liked to call it, becoming a tourist in my own country. I started enjoying nature, and going on road trips with friends, and all because I wanted to have shots of my country to share in LomoLocations with the rest of the world, through Lomography.

This philosophy of ‘Don’t Think, Just Shoot’ and ‘Don’t Worry About Any Rules’ really gets to you. There is a freedom that you feel when you’re holding a Lomography Camera, loaded inside with your favorite film, waiting to be cross processed, and have unexpected results blow your mind. As opposed to having a digital camera and being obsessed about how every single shot you take looks at the moment, and erasing it and taking it again, and again, and again – Shooting film gives you so much more freedom in that sense. You can focus on taking one shot, and actually enjoying what you’re shooting, instead of worrying so much if the photograph will turn out right.

Another way I loosened up in life thanks to Lomography was with my shyness. The need to capture all those random moments in life that make the perfect picture, snapping away all the time, from whatever position you need to get yourself into, not caring about what other people are thinking about you at the moment, is something that cannot be replaced by anything else. I’ve also managed to feel free enough to go up to strangers, and ask them if they mind having me take their picture in what they’re doing at the moment, regardless of their reaction.

But mostly, I love how everyone else looks at me when I pull one of my Lomography cameras out of my bag, especially if I’m surrounded by a bunch of folks with ‘real’ and ‘professional’ cameras. I know for a fact that I am enjoying photography much more than they are. Not having to worry about anything, just taking my shots as they come. Being free. This is How I Let Loose with Lomography. How do you?

written by reneg88

1. adi_totp

adi_totp

great article! yeah me too.. I become a tourist in my own country :D

2. grazie

grazie

Hi! I can really relate to this especially the part on loosening up, being free and enjoying the outdoors more. Also, I love the anticipation of waiting for that roll of film to be developed. Truly enjoyable! Great pictures by the way.

3. britterzb

britterzb

Great article! Very inspiring :-)

4. wuxiong

wuxiong

Yes, I agree, when start shooting films, you begin to notice many things around which usually be ignored...<:)

5. pomps

pomps

great article! you´ve expressed everything I´ve experienced and felt since i´ve got my lomocamara! you´ve translated my feelings and thoughts! love the article as i´m not quite a good writer :)

6. reneg88

reneg88

thanks for the lovely feedback guys! I'm glad to know that many lomographers as myself feel this freedom that Lomography has given us. :)

7. adrienne-is

adrienne-is

I agree about the feeling taking out my lomo cams around every fancy photographer. I've got fancy cameras too, but the lomo cams are much more fun. Great gallery.

8. neja

neja

great great great!

9. lighttomysoul

lighttomysoul

Same here. you just see things differently. it opens your eyes. just in the last few days I've seen many places I must go back and visit (shoot) once the weather has improved slightly :)

10. gladys

gladys

great article=D

11. maxwellmaxen

maxwellmaxen

same story, different pictures :)

12. catherinejcruz

catherinejcruz

this is great writing. i've yet to be comfortable enough to ask people if i can shoot them (since we have a language barrier between us - english to italian). but i'm getting there. this is encouraging. i love your shots. the cross processing is superb! what camera do you use, and which did you end up buying at urban outfitters?

13. reneg88

reneg88

thanks for more wonderful feedback guys,
    @catherinejcruz i use many different lomography cameras, my favorite are the Lomo LC-A+ and the Horizon Perfekt, but in some pictures here in this article I used an old Minolta SR-T 102 and a Nikon N6006 which you can find reviews for both of them under my articles section in my lomohome. In Urban Outfitters I got the Fisheye No. 1 Rob Ryan's Special Edition. It was my very first lomography camera which introduced me to this wonderful world. You can read more about how the story really goes in this article: http://www.lomograph(…)review-2010

14. asaieva

asaieva

I'm very new to lomography, but I agree that there is an intense feeling I get from shooting with my film cameras. I sometimes forget all about my digital camera! I will admit that my Lubitel still intimidates me a bit. I love shooting 120 but I'm very methodical and take extra care not to waste any of the 12 precious shots. When I loaded my Lubitel with 35mm I felt so free. I found myself laying on the ground, trying to get crazy angles, not caring if some of the shots didn't turn out. My Holga has loosened me up as well. It's so fun and easy to use! I really enjoyed your article and revel in this common feeling we lomographers experience. It's a beautiful, life-changing thing :)

15. boogieroxx

boogieroxx

I feel the same way.

16. wazzzaaaa

wazzzaaaa

Same here! (:

17. cheerryan

cheerryan

Great article and pictures. I fell in love with Lomography and the attitude of it, as you said, as soon as I just stepped into the Lomo world. Taking shots of the moment which never reappear exactly the same is such an enjoyment. Using Lomo Cameras just make everything seem to be more natural and original. I am new to Lomography. I do hope that I can learn more myself and from all those brilliant Lomo lovers just like you. :D
  18. okonsten

okonsten

My camera was on the shelf for a year collecting dust . After eight years of shooting, it was just not fun anymore. But then that thing called Lomo came into my life, and yeah. the rest is history:) Graeat Article.
  19. eva_eva

eva_eva

yes! this is how all of us feels like! :) i love ur article reneg!!

20. berserkbalderdash

SLR cameras are in a sense, everywhere. I remember how I felt when I got my first SLR camera when I turned 18, like it was special. But then, everybody started buying it; I don't know if they like it or for just aesthetic purposes but then it felt like, it somehow it was less special. What's so unique about it when everyone has the exact same thing? And then LOMO happened. I enjoyed reading it. Good job! :D
  21. reneg88

reneg88

thanks again everyone who has commented and liked this article! i'm really happy we as a community support each other in our guilty-free lomo pleasure! i really enjoy writing for you guys :) specially when it gets this kind of feedback hehe <3

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 中文(简体版), Deutsch, 中文(繁體版), English & Spanish.