What to do, what to do?

There always seems to be that one person in your life that is impossible to give gifts to. In my case, T, my future husband is the victim of some bad gift giving on my part. For some reason, when it comes to his birthday, our anniversary, or the holidays, I always strike out.

When I first met T it was easy to give him presents. All I had to do was look through the pictures I had printed in bigger sizes, run to the local frame store and BAM, his present was done. But, there´s only so many pictures you can give and then it gets old or the person´s house starts looking like your Lomo Home (which is cool for a while).

So after some time, I decided photographs were out of the picture (pun intended) and I decided I would start buying T some real stuff.

Photo by Gabriella Salas

Experiment number one: Birthday Present
What do you get someone who never seems to need or want anything particular? I know, a business card holder. Sound lame? It did to T, who, at first, graciously opened the wrapping paper feigned surprise and then procedeed to open the second present, a book.

Before you read on, please know that I am usually the best gift giver ever. Ask my family and friends. Mine is the gift they wait to open last so as to have the best birthday ever.

Experiment number two: Holiday Season
Once again faced with the present dilema, I spent a whole week searching and searching for something to give him. I went from the mall to the historic district, I even went to the supermarket, but nothing… And then suddenly, there it was, the present I thought he had always wanted… a cigarette case! Wrong again.

Fed up with the dissapointment, tired and wary, this year I´m going Lomographic on him. The only problem is, how I am gonna top myself next year? Any suggestions?

So for the sake of the up coming holidays, tell me your best or worst gift giving story.

written by gabysalas

1. dont_think

dont_think

I think you should try the new Online Shop Gift Certificates! You can't go wrong with that! http://shop.lomograp(…)certificate

2. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb

due to low cash flow one year at uni i was forced to buy gifts for my family from the pound shop! thats low!

3. gabysalas

gabysalas

@dont_think: thanks for the suggestion, those gift certificates will come in handy...
    @wilfbiffherb: that´s pretty funny, although I must admit you can also find some interesting gifts there as well.

4. azzzy

azzzy

make him a coupon that says valid for 1 day use of your lca!

5. shoujoai

shoujoai

I also think that I am mostly very creative with gifts, but sometimes I am really wrong. I think the worst gifts had been for my parents: 1. an after shave for my father who is wearing a beard since ever and 2. freezer magnets (they do not have a magnetic freezer, it's wooden)

6. mochilis

mochilis

When it comes to gifts my boyfriend and I are like two sides of the same coin... I also started with the nice pic and original frame idea but I was starting to get tired of this. For our first christmas together he gave me this, and I found it perfect :) http://www.flickr.co(…)2538164625/ Good luck!

7. gabysalas

gabysalas

Thanks for the tips, I´ll keep them in mind.
    @azzy: He already took over my LC-A, maybe I´ll do that with the Lubitel!
    @shoujoai: That is too funny (the dad gift)...
    @mochillis: Pinholes are a great idea, maybe a DIY, do you have a tipster for it?

8. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

My fiancee buys me a mug for every birthday and xmas we have ever spent together (we also celebrate 2 anniversaries and half birthdays) despite the fact that I do not drink tea or coffee and maybe have a hot chocolate twice a year. It used to annoy me but now, if he didn't get me one I would be soooo disappointed!

9. ritamiguel

ritamiguel

buy him some kind of 'wild' animal, maybe a parrott or an iguana! lol i dont know if he is an 'wild animal' person, but it's not bad trying...lol good luck1! =)

10. gabysalas

gabysalas

@kneehigh, that´s sweet, how many mugs do you have to date? You should shoot a series of your mug collection.
    @ritamiguel: I think Lola (our dog, in the picture) is the only wild animal I need living in our apartment!

11. lomollete

lomollete

A friend gave her father a toothbrush for his birthday (yep, a toothbrush) she now feels guilty and is saving up to buy him something nice in christmas. And if your boyfriend's into fotography why not get him a nice old camera from a flea market (you can always fine some cool stuff at flea markets) and/or film? (It was a nice toothbrush though, biodegradable too)

12. gabysalas

gabysalas

@lomollete: I literally laughed out loud at your comment. Thanks.

13. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

In theory I should have at least 12 by now but sadly a few have been pinched from student houses and a couple of others haven't survived the 5 house moves! However I have my half birthday and xmas coming!!! Good times!

14. realmustache

realmustache

@gabysalas going off that pinhole idea from @mochilis; i've actually spent the semester repurposing a toy i found from the thrift store into a pinhole camera and it works. i think making a pinhole camera would be a great gift for a photographer. i love making presents and a pinhole can be made relatives cheaply.

here's a link to my pinhole camera- http://www.flickr.co(…)5094703304/

and here's another link to a diy 35mm pinhole camera (i found everything i needed for this at the 99¢ only store)- http://www.alternati(…)mm-matchbox

15. realmustache

realmustache

wow. sorry for the bad grammar there. i don't know what camera over me :P

16. gabysalas

gabysalas

@realmustache: You should submit a tipster of how you made your pinhole, you can earn some piggy points!

17. gitarre

gitarre

give hime a kiss!

18. gabysalas

gabysalas

@gitarre: I will give him a kiss only if he behaves...

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch & 中文(繁體版).