Black_friday_en

The Black Plastic That Changed My Life

Within a few short seconds of clicks and pops, I devoted my whole life to analog and all of its quirks and niceties. Read on for the story of my slow journey and eventual love affair with the black plastic that changed my life.

A few 4th Of July’s ago I traveled down to the grand old city of Portsmouth to go watch the annual independence day fireworks. I also brought my wallet along with some distant intentions of doing some sort of shopping. And I came home with much more than I ever could have expected. My first stop was the local record store.The record store in Portsmouth is called Bullmoose Music and yes, it actually carries records. A lot of records.

When I went into the store I didn’t really intend to buy records though. I just went in to browse through my favorite artists CDs and to see if they had something I was interested in. I usually check Of Gorillaz, The Locust, Daft Punk, Dan Deacon, Of Montreal, and then The White Stripes. Usually in that order. When I came to The White Stripes section I spotted their very rare, film photo clad, ultra awesome, out of print, debut LP. So I quickly grabbed it and ran to the counter to purchase this plastic gold.

I’ve always been very influenced by The White Stripes and they’re actually the ones I can credit my discovery of Lomography to them. They’re also the ones that influenced me to get into vinyl. In my younger years it always perplexed me why anybody would still put out things on records. It just wasn’t what was hip hop and happening in my days. But I decided it give it a try anyway and see how I liked it.

That night I got home at a not so decent 1:30 AM. However, in spite of the time I immediately put my new record it on my father’s old turntable, plugged in the headphones, and listened away. Even before the music started I like the clicks and pops that filled the record’s vacant ripples. It felt like you could reach out and touch it and that it wasn’t some strange frequency that floated around you. And once the first beat of the opening track “Jimmy the Exploder” hit, I immediately felt the difference. So much bass and treble lived within the notes that I never knew existed from the mp3s I had become accustomed to. I was then convinced that vinyl was something that I needed to be in love with.

I now own three turntables and more records than you can shake a stick at.

To me and my analog journey through life I’ve found that analog will always give you the biggest bang for your buck. For example, with a record you can easily make CDs, cassettes, MP3, and all sorts of other formats of music. However, buy a CDs and it will cost much more to get your CD files pressed into a record. The same principals with film. With a negative you can easily have hard copy prints and digital files. But when you start with a digital file it’s almost impossible to get that digital file onto a film negative.

Since analog is synonymous with value to me and value being something worth striving for, I use analog whenever I can. In film. In music. In the way I live.

written by fivedayforecast

1. disdis

disdis

I have a vinyl record store downstairs... usually get something there when I have a bad day. I'm lucky that doesn't happen everyday. I put the turntable on, scan some negatives and feel special with that awesome sound of the old vinyl! Then I get over it!

2. mikahsupageek

mikahsupageek

Ah we all have our record shop and vinyl love stories ! Thanks for sharing yours with us buddy ! =)

3. boredbone

boredbone

be careful though at buying new vinyl because some are digitally recorded thus sounds just like a normal cd. i stopped buying new ones coz they don't sound analog at all.

4. sarahboat

sarahboat

Fantastic article! I'm a fan of records too. I feel like I should make you a mix tape!

5. brittany

brittany

Ah man I love your article!!! :) I totally relate to your love! My boyfriend works at a record pressing plant here in montreal and brings home tons of free vinyls every day ... I love it!! :)

6. brittany

brittany

ps i totally love the white stripes too have you watched Under Great White Northern Lights?? one of my favorite documentaries

7. vicuna

vicuna

I totally and fully agree with you! My analog love is as strong for my film cameras as for my vinyl collection, and I loooove the sound of the vinyl when you put it on, the magic sound starts before the music.... and then it's much warmer and richer than CD's or MP3's.... excatly the same for analogue pictures... And you're right to say that from the analogue file we can make easily digital copies, but not in the other way...
    Great article!

8. fivedayforecast

fivedayforecast

Well the White Stripes recorded their first album on analog equiptment! So I guess that counts.

Hey man. I'd love to see the documentary but it's too expensive and I didn't win the competition and it didn't come anywhere near me. Blast!

9. anandahernandez

anandahernandez

Also it was for The White Stripes that I discover lomography.

10. fivedayforecast

fivedayforecast

I should proof read these more.

11. ricson_tech

ricson_tech

im starting a vinyl record collection , problem is, the records i love are 10x their worth here in the philippines.. but i got no problem acquiring classic and old releases, its the new records that are expensive here. brittany, can you spare some weakerthans records hehehe :)

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Spanish.