Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

Mephisto's March Rumble: Couples/Pairs ended about 3 years ago

Mephisto19 approached us with a great idea, and as you know, Lomography likes great ideas! So, we are giving Mephisto a chance to run a monthly rumble. Read after the jump for more information!

From Mephisto19:

First of all I have to introduce myself and this rumble a bit. For those who do not know me, I am Stephan aka mephisto19 and I am quite active here on lomography.com . I have already been judge to some rumbles and gave the idea e.g. for the Vivian Maier Street Photograph Rumble. Now I got the chance to launch a monthly rumble, a small photo competition where I will be asking for your submissions. The themes will vary and will have to do with things I am working on or thinking about. So here is the first mephisto19 photo rumble.

This rumble is about couples, pairs, diptycs.

A whilte ago I posted a small blog called Playing with my Lubitel where I showed some pairs of photos I made using my Lubitel 166+ . I tried to take two photos that belong to each other in a certain way. I used a different aperture or distance setting, a different point of view. Due to the feedback (some were inspired and want to try it, too) I chose this as first rumble theme.

The task for the rumble now is to show me your best pair of photos.

There are different ways of creating two photos that belong to each other:

• formal aspects like aperture, angle, distance setting, point of view,…
  • theme (e.g. day and night)

• So start playing with your camera. Look for something that can be shown as pair/couple/diptyc.

Submission limit 3 (three) pairs, so six photos.
If you are using a half frame camera like Diana Mini one photo counts as one pair if you scanned it like a regular frame.
Analogue Photographs Only! No digital manipulation please.
Please read the theme! It is not about pairs on the photo itself (though it can be nice), but it does not need to have two of the same on the photo.

written by mephisto19

1. mephisto19

mephisto19

great that the rumble is up... please do not be confused by the typo in the headline... it has nothing to do with PARIS (a beautiful city though), but with PAIRS :)

2. squamy

squamy

Awesome rumble idea :D Look forward to the monthly rumbles. I'm going to get submitting. How will you identify the less obvious pairs? Should we put something in the title 1 of 2, 2of 2 maybe?

3. elvismartinezsmith

elvismartinezsmith

very cool rumble! I'm in!

4. panelomo

panelomo

'PARIS' - when will the typographical errors end?

5. awesomesther

awesomesther

I submitted 2 pairs!! :D How many winners will there be? :D

6. mephisto19

mephisto19

@awesomesther there is an amount of piggies to give away so the number of winners will depend on the quality of submissions... maybe there is only ONE winner, maybe more...
    and @squamy please do so if they are not that obvious! thanks a lot
    @panelomo i guess it was me producing the typo when writing it... i even thought of that nice typo, sorry for that - but i like it

7. vandal

vandal

3 pairs up. Hope you like them :D...especially the fisheye pairs

8. mochilis

mochilis

I looooove this idea! And also the idea of submitting not-so-obvious pairs... (don't worry, you'll get an explanation about it...) :D

9. vgzalez

vgzalez

great...!

10. juxtimon

juxtimon

woooo! i love this idea- the perfect opportunity to use my diy split cam :)

11. mochilis

mochilis

3 pairs sent! Hope you like them :)

12. ajglick

ajglick

Great Idea Hope you like the Submissions

13. panelomo

panelomo

@mephisto19 haha!

14. pietrone

pietrone

et voilat!! submitted my pairs! great idea Stephan!!

15. natalieerachel

natalieerachel

Awesome! Will definitely be on the look out for nice photo pairs to shoot!

16. bass_clarinet_2000

bass_clarinet_2000

I need to go out this weekend!

17. an-y

an-y

this rumble is fresh idea

18. awesomesther

awesomesther

just submitted my 3rd pair :p

19. miss_lisa

miss_lisa

oh damnit, I read it as Triptychy not diptychy. now I put up 2 x 3photos :(
    I guess there#s no way I can take back my submissions and do it again with 3 x 2 photos? ;)

20. miss_lisa

miss_lisa

...and now I can't even spell anymore: I meant triptychs and diptychs. jeez what's wrong with me, I better go to bed and get some sleep.

21. alehopgm

alehopgm

@mephisto19 Hey! I have a question, because toyam and me are discussing about the the. Are doubles like you are looking for a picture before a kiss and the same picture during the kiss? Or you are looking for the same object with two ways of look it? I mean, are you looking for the changes of the object o change the object with the camera? Do you understand me? Sorry for my English.

22. toyam

toyam

He means if the couples can be after/before, the same object in different situations but withouth changing the lens or the tecnic, just different actions of the same motive

23. lemonjuice

lemonjuice

let's do it!!!!...:):):):)

24. pomps

pomps

Super idea! I have some photos like that :) I´ll upload

25. pangmark

pangmark

Just a note on typos and general mistakes. Please remember this is a photograpy site not English literature and being worldwide quite often written by
    great photographers whose 1st language is NOT English.

26. kitde

kitde

Great Idea! I often take photos in pairs or sets - especially when I use the Diana Mini in half-frame!

27. mephisto19

mephisto19

@kitde ja... that is what i am doing with the diana mini, too.... for me the camera is meant to be used like that as i am not scanning the half frame as half frame i want a relation between the photos....
    @alehopgm and@toyam the photos shall have a relating thing on them, wether an object or whatever... they shall belong to each other... it can be the exact same camera position using a different focus setting, it can be the same object shot from two different angles/perspectives... look through the submissions, there are some showing it :)
    @miss_lisa sorry, there is no way to take the submissions back
    thanks t everyone for liking and commenting on the idea of the rumble and for all the submissions! will be a tough job

28. paper_doll

paper_doll

great idea for a rumble, will require a lot of time and good judgement no analyse these hundreds of pairs! I submitted mine just now, I hope you like them :)

29. eatclicklove

eatclicklove

Great Rumble, but you'll have to use your brain to have good ideas...

30. azurblue

azurblue

Smart idea mephisto and great rumble !

31. domemerson

domemerson

I'm totally in...

32. arlec007

arlec007

awesome. my pair is made by one pic and the same taken a few seconds after, with the same diana in pinhole.
  33. warning

warning

I like the idea Stephan!.

34. notyetthedodo

notyetthedodo

I just posted my entries - but did not know how I should enter them, and thus I just kept going, maybe it would 'do something' once I'd finally chosen six... and I ended clicking 'like' to maybe make something happen - and have now entered four pairs. Darn. If that's a big problem, because I can't figure out how to un-enter the one pair?! - please un-enter the pair with the many shoes hanging from a line!!! Thanks, mephisto! Also I love the pairs - my favourite thing about the Golden Half camera is the surprises you get when seeing the film - so often two pictures talk to each other, even though it wasn't planned.....
  35. miss_maha

miss_maha

Really nice rumble! I was wondering how you count a SuperSampler picture though, as 2 pairs? or as 1 pair? ;)

36. zahead

zahead

3 pairs submit......yehaaa....
  37. mephisto19

mephisto19

@miss_maha one supersampler shot is one photo for me so half a pair as it is not a half (or quarter) frame camera, but a camera capturing movings not like the diana mini where you have time to decide what you want to put next to your other half frame....

38. ghidini

ghidini

Stephan, could I upload pairs shot with 2 different cameras, therefore, 2 different people?

39. sonya1980

sonya1980

great idea!!!hope you like mine!

40. mephisto19

mephisto19

@ghidini if you want so, do!

41. charlotteke

charlotteke

Great idea for a rumble! I like photos in pairs so i just submitted some :)

42. mephisto19

mephisto19

and PLEASE ADD META DATA!!!!!!

43. mephisto19

mephisto19

and PLEASE ADD META DATA!!!!!!

44. colinda

colinda

Is there a way to see other peoples entries? i'm curious to see what the results are!

45. colinda

colinda

ah found it

46. iaki

iaki

did it!

47. gittlob

gittlob

I like this idea and its sunny so im off out to give it ago!!!

48. devo_2269

devo_2269

What an awesome idea! I've been toying with a similar idea lately..both my boyfriend and I love to shoot, and we often take different photos of the same thing that just seem like they belong to each other-- even at different times when we didn't know the other shot the same subject. Everyone sees everything differently, but many people find the same things to be beautiful or enticing. I love this concept. Maybe for one of your rumbles, you can offer a collaborative project.."photo responses". Lomographers can pair up and post photos that have something in common (ie, same subject/different angle, similar flow/different subject, same subject and angle/day and night or different seasons).

49. mephisto19

mephisto19

@devo_2269 there is such a rumble on the german site called "zwillingsbilder" where you shall submit photos of the same thing taken by someone else at a different time. ;)

50. cmcarterss

3 pairs up in the nick of time
  51. ihave2pillows

ihave2pillows

you want twins, I give you triplets!

52. b0rn2b1ush

b0rn2b1ush

yehey, done!

53. creative_epi

creative_epi

Hi ... I'm new on here and when I submitted the last two sets of images one of them didn't upload .. my mistake ... so there are two sets of two muddled up, they are very self explanatory images, but there was no way to put them in order !! I should have checked. I hope I will not be disqualified !! :)