Vivian Maier Street Photography Rumble ended almost 4 years ago

She may not be world-famous...yet, but Vivian Maier's street photography has started to gain popularity among film photography enthusiasts through a blog that wonderfully showcases Ms. Maier's work from her 40-year career as a photographer in Chicago, USA. If you're an aspiring photographer yourself - or you find Ms. Maier's work absolutely inspiring, here's your chance to take part in our little tribute of a rumble because our Vivian Maier Street Photography Rumble starts now!

Photo by Vivian Maier

At a Chicago auction, Vivian Maier’s work served as a pleasant surprise when people found over 100,000 (mostly) medium format negatives, thousands of prints, and rolls of undeveloped film. All these wonderfully showcase Maier’s ability to capture everyday life in her hometown. Outspoken and a popular figure in the streets of Chicago, Maier took a lot of photos whenever she found the time. But never really cared to show her work to anyone and basically preferred to be left alone especially when she’s out and about taking photographs. Thanks to a guy named John Maloof who discovered Maier’s work, anyone can now view her stunning work through the delightful little blog that Maloof has set up for Maier.

Photo by Vivian Maier

Any film photography fan will definitely develop an interest in Maier’s work which is why we created this special Vivian Maier rumble wherein we ask you guys to share with us your best black and white photographs from your favorite medium format camera. In return, we’ll gladly reward FIVE winners with TEN piggies each for their beautiful Vivian Maier-ish lomographs. One of your favorite Lomographers, mephisto19 will serve as the special judge for this one-of-a-kind tribute rumble.

Details

• Prize(s): 5 winners of 10 Piggies.
  • Film/Camera Type: Any black and white analogue photo created with a medium format camera not digitally enhanced or manipulated. Please keep in mind of our street photography theme.
  • Upload Limit: 10 Photos
  • Minimum Photo Dimensions: Submissions must be at least 768px in either width or height.
  • Meta data must be completed (camera, film, location & 3 tags)

Photos and information from the Vivian Maier blog and http://www.information.dk/fotobloggen/208046

1. anafaro

anafaro

Ups, I didn't see it was supposed to be only B&W pictures. How can I "un-submit" a photo?

2. yarnlass

yarnlass

Uh, BLACK AND WHITE, people, BLACK AND WHITE
    you know, oldschool

3. vandal

vandal

it says upload limit 1 photo but i can upload 10

4. mephisto19

mephisto19

PLEASE GET INSPIRED BY THE LINKS ABOVE AND HAVE A LOOK AT YOUTUBE TO FIND OUT MORE....
    and

5. pulex

pulex

what about photos taken with a medium format camera on 35mm film?

6. nicolas_noir

nicolas_noir

I <3 Vivian Maier! I don't think I have many B&W medium format shots though :-( I've got some Lomography B&W 100 in my Holga 120GN but I don't think I'd be able to shoot it and get it back from development in time for the rumble :-(

Good luck to those who enter!

7. photohuggers

photohuggers

I just Love this story and Love her photos...

8. superlighter

superlighter

hufff only 6 days...I wanna try but without an extension of the deadline it's very hard! however I love Maier pictures sooo soooooo much!

9. kylewis

kylewis

What an amazing photographer and what a fun rumble but more time would be nice... please!

10. pctechgirl

pctechgirl

As already mentioned, the article states an upload limit of one photo, but later it says 0/10. . .what's the real limit?

11. adrienne-is

adrienne-is

what pctechgirl and the others said about the upload limit.... what is the limit? one? or ten?

12. erinwoodgatesphotography

erinwoodgatesphotography

Absolutely LOVE her work. trying to find a way to chicago to go to the exhibition! great rumble!

13. vandal

vandal

don't understand the people who post color pics in bw rumbles

14. kvboyle

kvboyle

I don't have many B&W medium format pictures, but I'll try and find one - I love VM's pictures and think about her a lot when I'm too chicken to take pictures of people in the street!!

15. neja

neja

oops. can I re-submit please? all my submissions are color!

16. panpriatel

panpriatel

Her photos are amazing! Really inspirating! Thanks for letting me know about this great photographer!
    I don't shoot street with medium format... I'll better load my clean and load my camera... Only six days to go!

17. seesaw

seesaw

pleaseeee please please extend this deadline!
  18. natalieerachel

natalieerachel

19. natalieerachel

natalieerachel

20. myriam-l

myriam-l

this rumble is about "b&w street pictures in medium format", right ? just wondering regarding the submissions (pics in color, boats and beaches, people in bed and so on)...

21. rav_bunneh

rav_bunneh

OMG will I have time to shoot and dev. a roll of b&w on my diana mini in just 5 days?!

22. kboboland

kboboland

whoops, submitted color photos
    don't mind my entires

23. pangmark

pangmark

Yeah, why so short? it'd take me that long to recieve the film let alone....... anyway cool that they have a judge that knows and hopefuly that would exclude him from the comp ha ha ha

24. dogma

dogma

Her shots are really inspiring!

25. kneehigh85

kneehigh85

Ahhhhh I didn't see it was only 1 photo! Limit said 10!

26. pctechgirl

pctechgirl

Can someone please clarify the photo limit?

27. kazarareta

kazarareta

sorry - it's 10 photos

28. ngoki

ngoki

aseeeeekkkkk/kewllllllll :D

29. basho

basho

Sorry! I missed the part about "medium format". Darn! I've sent 5 pictures! & I can't withdray them!

30. itsdebraanne

itsdebraanne

i haven't taken my cameras to the streets yet!

31. violet_rayy

violet_rayy

ah i've missed it by 4 hours. :( Fancy a late entry?

32. violet_rayy

violet_rayy

It's black and white and medium format!!!

33. crstemple

crstemple

Ms. Maier's photography is one of the many reasons why I'm proud to be a resident of Chicago.

34. tak00

When do we find out who won? I'm new to this site and a little lost?
  35. maelstrom

maelstrom

Oh God, I've got the 666th submission...!

36. mainstreet

Oh, This was a great idea to get that creativity flowing. I'll have to check (pay attention to my emails) this site much more often. How I wish I could be at Maloof's place to see that film being developed and help scanning. Now, theres a 1st prize - a week at his work place. I wonder what does Maloof's photography look like. I pray he stays healthy he sounds overwhelmed on the website.