Share Your Experiences With The Horizon! ended almost 5 years ago

Whether you're a beginner or a pro, there's a Horizon camera that will suit you. Pick up one of these premium wide-angled heavyweights, stretch out far and wide with your pictures, and tell us about it! Your testimonials will come in handy for our special feature on the Horizon Perfekt and Horizon Kompakt cameras.

Sometimes, a medium-format square or a rectangular 35mm print just ain’t enough to tell your story. This is when a Horizon camera comes in handy! See all the details in one sweeping, panoramic strip of 58mm, bursting with remarkable sharpness and excellent color, and a distorted “barrel effect that only a swing-lens can give. Beginners can opt for the Horizon Kompakt, your handy point-and-shoot panoramic partner for stunning pictures, while the more advanced users can experiment with the Horizon Perfekt, which features manual controls for experimental panoramic pictures!

Have you got one of these premium panoramic babies yet? How about sharing your Horizon experiences with us? Simply leave a comment below, telling us about your swing-lens stories using the Horizon Kompakt or Horizon Perfekt cameras, as well as your 10 best Horizon pictures. Make sure you add the tag ‘Horizon experiences’ to be in with a chance of winning 10 Piggies, if your gallery and testimonials are chosen! We’re doing a special feature on these fine Russian panoramic jewels, so your comments and photos will surely be appreciated.

Rumble info:

• Prize: Winners will receive 10 Piggy Points for their Gallery and will be included in a special feature for the Horizon
  • Film/Camera Type: Horizon Perfekt or Horizon Kompakt
  • Upload Limit: 10 photos
  • Minimum Photo Dimensions: Submissions must be at least 768px in either width or height.
  • Only submissions tagged with ‘Horizon experiences’ will be eligible to win prizes – please also try to fill out the other meta data like camera, film and location!
  • By submitting your photos to this rumble, you allow Lomography.com to use your submitted photos for promotional purposes.

written by kazarareta

1. xbalboax

xbalboax

I never wanted a camera as much as I did the Horizon. I received my first Horizon 202 for my birthday almost 5 years ago. I took her everywhere! Whenever I took her out people would always stare and ask questions. Unfortunately one day she stopped but the great people at the LSI replaced her. When I got my second 202 I shot even more until one day she stopped working. By that time LSI had introduced the Horizon Perfekt and Kompat so I couldn't replace my 202. I finally bought a Horizon Kompakt a few months ago and it filled an emptiness that I had inside for a while. Probably the greatest experience w/ my Horizon was having a handful of my horizon shots printed in the Horizon book, which i love to show to everyone. This is an amazing camera that everyone should own! Now to go through my hundreds of horizon shots to pick just 10!

2. adi_totp

adi_totp

my testimonial about the horizon perfekt is :
    it's about changing my point of view as a lomographer. with the horizon i can see all the details in one picture. First time i saw a horizon picture was the panoramic picture by lomoamigos, Kozyndan. I saw their gallery in the broadening horizon gallery in horizon microsite since then the horizon camera is the camera that i always dream of.
    Now i bring the horizon everywhere i go, just to taste the 120 degree of life.
    For example in my Horizon experiences gallery :
    3 horizon picture that i took during the kecak dance in Bali
    1 picture : Uluwatu's Sunset in Bali
    1 picture : Lost In The Supermarket panoramic picture. Inspired by The Clash song
    1 picture : In the cemetery
    1 picture : in the bookstore
    1 picture : in the supermarket again. this time inspired by Radiohead music video
    1 picture : my lucky jump redscaled
    1 picture : Kuta Beach, it's a classic view!

I really really really fall in love with my Horizon Perfekt and the name of my horizon perfekt is Phoenix :)
    the horizon camera is trully The Panoramic Lomographic Dream Machine.
    as I always say and I said before in my horizon perfekt review.
    "everything is perfect with the Horizon Perfekt" :)
    thanks for reading ;p

3. grenoouille

grenoouille

I can't see the submissions for that one too...

4. grenoouille

grenoouille

The sound of it!! That's an amazing experience!!! It feels like opening a sliding door in the USS Enterprise!... and people look at you as you were Dr Spock...

5. scorpie

scorpie

I had the pleasure to shoot with a Horizon Kompakt for one month - we did a project where we'd share a Horizon between a bunch of people, everone was allowed to play with it for a month before it had to travel to the next person on the list (we did have a shared lomohome too, but I don't think it was migrated to the new site, shame! The name was "Wanderhorizon"). I had a lot of fun with that camera and I really miss it. I plan on getting one myself, but I haven't gotten round to it yet, but one day I will!
    What was most hilarious was all the other people's reactions to this camera - it was the creme coloured version. My friends and family are already used to seeing me with weird cameras, mind, they still laughed at me when they saw me with this "brick" for the first time. But so did other people: one of my first photo-tour-destinations was the Medienhafen in Düsseldorf. It was really empty there except for two boys, about 10, skating. When they saw me with the camera they came up to me: "What is that? Is that a camera? Does it REALLY take pictures?" And when I said yes, one of them shouted: "That is SO 1980ies!" and off they went on their skateboards.
    On another day I was shooting the Schwebebahn in Wuppertal and walked past a bus stop and a girl basically yelled after me: "My, SHE is ugly!" ("Mann, ist DIE hässlich!") Since there was no one else around I figure she meant the camera (or me!?). Ah, kids these days...

6. vicuna

vicuna

So, here are my 10 submissions and my little testimony of my Horizon experiences:
    As I already told in my Horizon Kompakt review (http://www.lomograph(…)kt-is-magic) I received this camera as a birthday present from all my firends, and I never will stop to thank them for this fantastic present. To shoot with Horizon is always an amazing experience full of surprises. It would be too long to told you all I think about this camera, but my 4 favorites experiences are the following:
    - Close-up & personal: you can go very close to shoot with Horizon, and specially with people. You'll get a reaction of surprise while the cam is shooting with this strange noise (and the picture is made!) and after that you can have a little talk with these people you shot by surprise. Horizon is a human relation camera!!
    - Need for speed: as the horizon lens is rotating you can play with the subject and speed. A moving subject or when you're moving fast yourself (or both for more spectacular results!)
    - Double trouble: as on the Horizon Kompakt the shutter and the film advance knob are uncoupled, you can easily shoot fascinating doubles, one of my favorite techniques is the up-side down symetric shot. Shoot once, than re-cock the shutter and take exactly the same shot but with the reversed camera..... surrealistic results!!
    - Magic panorama: of course, one of the most known experiences with Horizon is the very wide panoramic view this camera can offer with the 120° angle of view. Nothing better to take the full picture of amazing huge landscapes.

The selection of 10 shots I submitted try to show every of these 4 kind of fantastic Horizon experiences I like the most, but of course theres a lot of other things to do with this beautiful camera... :)))

7. vicuna

vicuna

And for the most fantastic human experience I had with Horizon, it was during my stay in Burkina Faso. The people and kids were so willing and kind to be photgraphed that it was a very rich human experience. And one of the shots of my submissions shows how much the kids were enthusiastic and spontanous in front of the Horizon and in the same time very surprised during the GRRRRRRRRRRRRR of the rotating lens, and once it was finished, they looked at it as if they had discover the most fascinating thing of their life....

8. panelomo

panelomo

I had always wanted to get this camera since I started doing Lomography. Everytime my wife and I visits the Kinokunya Book Shop in Takashimaya Mall or Page One in Vivocity Mall, I’ll definitely end up in this quiet corner where these Lomo cameras and accessories are displayed. I had always wondered how these cameras worked. How do they take panoramic photos? How to load films? How to rewind? How my photos would look like if I had one?

After countless visits and peer convincing - - Alas! An early Christmas gift from my wife! The very beautiful and sexy peach cream-colored HORIZON KOMPAKT. The camera only lasted for 5 minutes within its package, and I’ve quickly loaded tons of films in it within the next few days. Loading the film is not an easy task, but when you get the hang of it – it’ll only take you a squint before you start shooting again. My first roll only gave me 14 successful exposures, as I was having problems focusing and advancing the roll (well… I didn’t review and read the manual before I actually used the camera!). The rest of the rolls are just dazzling and incredible. If you are having problems capturing the essence of a very tall building, wide landscapes, mountains, a basketball game or whatever thing or place you’d think of – the Horizon Camera would definitely be a good buddy to be with.

Do you know what’s the best experience I’ve had whenever I’m taking this beauty for a shoot? Well, I usually make it happen a lot of times - giggles! Here goes, every time I see someone shooting with a HUGE and CHUNKY digital camera – those funky DSLR’s with loooong lenses complete with their tall tripods and clunky accessories, those who take 5 photos of the same subject just to perfect the exposure, oh well… whenever I see these “photographers”, I’d usually bring my “monster” Horizon Kompakt out of my slingshot bag and shoot near them, and watch how they react discreetly while gazing at my camera. With a few side glances and whispers to their companions, they would always end up asking me what camera I’m holding on to – and I’d proudly say it’s a Lomography Horizon Kompakt camera! … and I’m using film by the way! 

Have I told you that I love the slow “whirring” sound it produces whenever I’m shooting in low-light areas? And the dramatic viewfinder? And the close-up shots you can do with it? And shooting fast-paced cars and buses? And…

9. panelomo

panelomo

... whew, not much space in here - really. :)

10. graefin

graefin

I once borrowed a Horizon Kompakt because I always wanted to have a Horizon camera but couldn't afford one. So I tried the Kompakt but it didn't seem to work. Whenever I put a film into the camera and tried to forward it I got stuck somewhere and I was torn. It destroyed 3 or 4 films until I finally found out how to outwit the camera and then everything worked! Then I made my first shots - long exposures. The people that passed by shot me a glance as if I was crazy. The sound of the Kompakt was so loud! Besides the camera looked strange to the passers-by. Maybe they looked at me because I was kneeling on the sidewalk and made the most funny movements to get nice pictures.
    In 2008 I bought a Horizon Perfekt. This model isn't that loud during long exposures but people still look at me because I haven't changed my way of taking pictures. I still kneel or lie down or hold the Perfekt at it's handle out of a window :)

11. mizzfonky

mizzfonky

hehe, can't share my horizon pictures, LSI already used all of them for their magazine :D

12. grad

grad

Horizon is good for mass portraits. All your friends will be on a picture.

13. lichtblick

lichtblick

hmmm, would be nice to send some of my horizon, but my internet at this moment is a mess. maybe next time. by the way, horizon is the best!

14. vtayeh

vtayeh

My Horizon Experience: It's been a few years now since my husband and I moved over 1200 miles away from our families (for school and jobs) and sometimes it's challenging conveying all our new adventures to them. But then, one day, I ran into a Horizon Perfekt and everything changed. The panorama views captures more than the whole picture and it helps me create the story I want to tell. So my favorite experience with the Horizon is the ongoing, ever changing, super fun, story telling experience I share with my family and friends that documents the life we've made for ourselves. :-D

15. -a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

-a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

The first time that I saw “live” an Horizon Perfekt it was in Prague, she was on a tripod and suddenly I falled in love. Since then I started to speak with my last three girlfriends about the amazing features of this camera but nobody had the idea of giving it as a present. So in order to have a continuos relationship :-)), I decided to save money for a while and buy it. When it arrived the first comments were “amazing stylish design, it’s heavy, the viewfinder is great” and immediately after I started to play with the level bubble and to undertstand how to load it. I could not stop to look at it and touch it. This was my first contact with the Horizon Perfekt, since that moment it passed almost two years. Now it’s the best friend of my Lc-a, they always go out together. At the beginning It changed my space perception asking myself 35 or 58 mm but after a while I started to use it with the same attitude of a 35 mm camera, simply thinking that with this camera I can impress what I see at 120°. So for me it can be used everytime bw or color films, reporting, interiors, architecture and of course landscapes and human landscapes.

16. champi

champi

I can't remember how long I've been saving piggies to reach the right amount for my Horizon Kompakt, fighting against the will to spend them on other stuff on the shop... A long time anyway, so long I was like a little child at X-mas when I opened the pack and unveiled the beast!! And it was also a big disappointment to see something was blocked and the camera didn't work... I was so impatient to use it that I forgot any good sense and began to unmount the cam, Until I found what was going wrong and could fix it (I have no idea about what it was anymore!)! A few seconds later the beast was loaded and I began shooting!!
    For me the first cool thing of this camera is looking through the viewfinder, and immediately being transfered in another world, wide and distorted... I don't know if you even tried to walk a few steps with your eye still looking through that strange rectangular lens, if not you should give it a try, better than any drug!!
    If it wasn't for it's weight I think I would take it anywhere! The wide format allows you tons of creativity while the two speeds usually are enough to shoot fast without having to think too much about your settings... Don't think, just shoot!!
    Here are my shots (hard to choose only ten of them...):

- My very first picture with the horizon... Something like ten seconds after I got it loaded!

- Having fun with the wide format shooting at myself with my feets!!

- I guess the Horizon was born for landscapes... Job well done!

- Playing with verticality.

- There's always a way to put the whole scene in the box.

- Low light, slow speed!! (And for sure a few weired looks from the people surrounding you) Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

- You can put EVERYTHING in one horizon shot!

- I said EVERYTHING!

- People always get amazed with the horizon... These guys almost stopped their work to have a look at it!

- Horizon upside down doubles always yeld great results!

What to say more... If you don't have it yet, believe me, you need a Horizon!!

17. anarchy

anarchy

I'm in love with my Horizon Kompakt! I can't resist caressing her soft skin, love the purr she makes when I press the right buttons. When I look through her smooth viewfinder she opens up a whole new world just for me. I know I have full control over her, she follows my every direction and transfers the world around me onto small strips of film that I save for rainy days... Yes, I'm in love with my Horizon Kompakt!

18. grenoouille

grenoouille

@anarchy: oooolalaaaa that's hot...

19. cubilas

cubilas

I first used the Horizon Perfekt of a friend of mine to photograph the house I had lived in for 6 years. I was moving out and wanted to take with me some memories. The Horizon was perfekt for documenting the small rooms and cause the results were so nice I decided to get one myself.

The manual control is nice, but at first I hated the fact I always had to bring a lightmeter with me. However, the Horizon helped me guessing the available light and now I can work without a lightmeter, also thanks to the sunny f16 rule.

Nowadays I use the Horizon to photograph my friends and places I go. The view the Horizon gives you is closer to nature, closer to what we see as human beings. That's what attracts me in it: the fact that you get so much more information and context. The pictures give you the feeling you can jump into them.

20. teresa-canelas

teresa-canelas

I am in Love with my Horizon kompakt.
    I always want to have one ... but as it is expensive and never get such an amount of piggies to get it ...i was relly happy that i manage to buy it because the fed 5b i bought was some defect that i decided to exchange it for an horizon. i always wanted to make panoramics but i never thought that i could get such amazing results.

I can make almost everything iwth my horizon, remaking arquitecture my making doubles iwth the camera upside donw, i can regist movmentes in the slow moving mode .....etc.
    It was the only camera that i took to india ... look on my blog to see my horizon experiencies at india : http://plasticoland.blogspot.com/

I can't wait to take my horizon to its limits cause i know i will be amazed.

21. irorus

irorus

It is more than just a camera. The swishing, clicking mechanical sound of the Horizon getting into action had me totally hooked. It is a whole complete package of fun while capturing memories!
  22. whatsuptiger

whatsuptiger

I searched day in and day out, mostly on ebay, for about 2 years+ until I finally won an auction on ebay for the price I wanted it for. I love this camera for than any other. I bought a film scanner (no choice with this film, really!) and it inspires me to use more film. I take the horizon with me everywhere I can! I love showing it to people, because it's unlike anyone has ever seen! the best is letting look through the viewfinder and they go "whooaaa!". even better than that is saying "watch the lens swing!" and taking a picture of them. it's funny when people are like "and that's on film?". films not dead! especially when you have unique cameras that go beyond what digital could ever do in one click! :) :) :)
  23. mephisto19

mephisto19

oh no! i missed that one :(((

24. kylewis

kylewis

Oh I just got back from a road trip with my Horizon Perfekt and I'm too late for this ;(( you'll all just have to watch my home for the pics then! good luck to all!

25. sugiyamasatomi

sugiyamasatomi

Ahhhhhh! how did I miss this one!?

26. sugiyamasatomi

sugiyamasatomi

oh, I know how. I was too busy with lc-a race!:D