Rumble Submissions Lowdown / F.A.Q Update

Along with the rollout of the groundbreaking "Photos":http://beta.lomography.com/photos and "Lomohomes":http://beta.lomography.com/homes section these past few weeks, things are yet a-changin' to keep everyone engagin'!

Along with the rollout of the groundbreaking Photos and Lomohomes section these past few weeks, things are yet a-changin’ to keep everyone engagin’!

We sincerely appreciate the effort you guys put out in our daily Beta Competitions Given that, we are in constant search for hot and fresh submissions to our contest galleries for everyone to digest & savor.

Rumbles are our best medium to draw inspiration for fresh site content, as well as serves as one of the, if not best reward systems on the internet (where else could you find a community as generous as ours?) :D The LomoStaff however, came to a general consensus regarding photo submissions being repeated over and over. Although your repeated submissions may catch our eye over and over again, we are stressing out on the notion of redundancy and fair game for everyone. The rumbles should present reinterpretations and representation of ideas, themes and emotions at all times – and we’d like to keep it that way.

Given this, we are requesting everyone to refrain from submitting the same pictures to multiple rumbles. If you already submitted your entry, please give an opportunity for others to partake with their brand new shots. So please choose wisely! Repeated submissions will also lower your probability for award consideration. So if there’s a 10-upload limit and you only have 5 good shots, submit only your best 5. Let’s keep everything top-notch! We hope this new rule addition would ensure balance and fair representation between all the users for future rumbles and on-site activities.

Please refer to the Lomography Rumble F.A.Q. for further updates. We apologize for any inconvenience or adjustments this might bring to everyone!

P.S. – If you were wondering how in the world we’d know if you’ve submitted your entries more than once, well we just do!

written by kazarareta

1. grenoouille

grenoouille

I fully agree with this! (probably because I am amongst those who have submitted several times the same old bloody shot). But then, I think you should reconsider the whole timing of the rumbles and give up with the 24hours ones, and extend them to, at least, one week.
    One thing I have always loved with THE MISSION was the one month delay which was giving us the opportunity to think and make a relevant shot, as well as to take the time to look at others' pics! Now with the 24hours rumble, the only thing you can do is dig into your archive. I agree we could surely avoid digging in the very same album, but it so tempting sometimes because of the short timing... of course this does not mean to limit the rumbles to one per week, no, but one every 24 hours with a week deadline would be cool!!!
    I quite like as well when the upload is limited, because when you only have a few hours to browse through hundreds of pics made by the other contestants, at a certain point it gets quite tough (I bet it must be for the jury...), if not boring, and you don't enjoy watching anymore, which is pretty sad... On the Mission page we had time to look and comment and come back and discuss... I am missing that a lot... I have the impression I can't take the time anymore to do so... it's quantity vs quality... too many information... I can't cope anymore! who can?

2. vicuna

vicuna

I totally agree with grenoouille....

3. anarchy

anarchy

I can understand why you would incorporate this rule, but there are a couple of arguments against it too... First of all, like grenoouille said, the 24h time frame is a huge obstacle, second I think that even if I did submit a shot to one rumble it might fit even better to another rumble that comes along afterwards. I don't think it's fair to cancel out a shot instantly just because it was submitted once before. I believe common sense should be the rule of thumb. Obviously it wouldn't be fair if the same shot won over and over again, but personally I think it's up to the judges to take into consideration how many times a shot has been entered before when choosing the winners... Or at least allow us to submit up to maybe 3 times before it "expires"...

4. lomodirk

lomodirk

I agree with grenoouille...I can`t afford a one hour photo service which is eight times more expensive than my solution I`m on now, but this lab takes a week...And I think I`m not the only one around here...

5. gemma81de

gemma81de

While I totally understand where you are coming from with this rule I can also second all the opinions above. Plus I see one more difficulty: while I still remember what shots I submitted for the last few rumbles I'm quite certain that I don't remember all my submissions from maybe half a year ago or so (this doesn't go for the good old missions of course since they are saved in our old homes). Or can we see that somewhere? You started saving our submissions to the Unsorted Folder in our betahomes only in December so what about our submissions before that?
    Personally I think grenoouille's suggestion is really good.

6. stinketier

stinketier

I also agree with grenouille and lomodirk.
    I can't afford that and sometimes I'm using one shot for different competitions, because if it's a competition about "Diana+ Photos" or "Graffiti" or about something like "Love" i always can use my I Love You Graffiti for example.
    Surely it's hard to cope with so much photographs but i'm not sure if this is the right solution.

7. oz1gyq

oz1gyq

Grenoouille is right. 24 hours are not enough to do new pics. And we all want to optimize our changes, so we upload anything that fit the theme, which means everything we used before too.

8. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

i completely agree with this new rule because it makes absolute sense, just because there is a rumble doesn't mean we MUST participate, especially not with the same pictures over and over again. Just submit what is right for the theme and always keep it fresh, lets put quality and creativity above the prizes here!

I can imagine that it must be annoying for the jury to always see the same submissions of that one wonderful shot over and over again.

9. lomosexual_manboy

lomosexual_manboy

I think there can be a middle ground here which revolves around reason(Lomographers) and understanding(LSI).

When I first became involved with this site last year I wanted to enter shots into everything and anything because I was so excited, but over time I have found it is much better to control your submissions and put some thought into it beforehand. This often involves viewing all the current submissions beforehand too.

It's much more enjoyable (for me at least) when browsing submissions to see smaller amounts of quality submissions than large amounts of all over the place submissions. LSI gives us the chance to leave it up to our interpretation so I think we owe it to our community to make an effort to use that within reason and then LSI should use their powers of understanding to judge submissions by how broad or specific the theme is. I think it's pretty obvious when a photo just doesn't make the cut in relation to a theme. The challenge sometimes is to figure out what LSI is looking for and to put your own creative twist on it.

I don't think this community will have any problem with being creative...we rule.

10. mephisto19

mephisto19

i feel guilty sending in the same shots again and again and i try to send in new ones (and i am quite productive...!)
    but sometimes (often) i think that a shot deserves to be awarded, so i send it in twice (or more often)
    shall i not open albums waiting for a rumble shots would fit into?
    my problem is, that even a week would be too short to make brand new pics. i collect films to send them via snailmail to the lab, they get develloped and send back via snailmail to me (arriving not before 3 pm here!!!)

11. sonjabean

sonjabean

I'm fine with this policy. I've never submitted a photo to two different rumbles... I don't think? Maybe I did it once? I remember that one time I felt like a photo that I'd submitted before would really work for another rumble, but I think I didn't do it that time. Anyway, I see people's argument about a photo possibly fitting for two themes, but if that's what happens, I guess those are the breaks. Competitions aren't a right; they're a privilege.

12. anarchy

anarchy

Thinking more about it I'm not convinced that this rule would promote quality over quantity. All images can fit to a number of themes, it's a matter of interpretation. Let's say I submit a shot for one theme and it didn't make the cut, then another rumble comes up with another theme and I really think that specific shot has the perfect characteristics, then I wouldn't be able to submit the same shot again, so I would have to choose a shot that, in my opinion, is less fitting to the theme. Wouldn't that decrease the quality of submissions? Of course I could choose not to participate at all, but I'm not saying I would submit crap shots just for the sake of it... And of course, again, everything has to be within reason. I personally wouldn't re-submit a shot that I've already won with and also if a shot after several submissions doesn't get rewarded I'd put it aside... I also think we should separate the native LSI rumbles from the collaborations, 'cause it really isn't fair to the collaborator that they should miss out on some awesome photos just because the shots were submitted to a 24H rumble 6 or 12 months ago... I believe the best solution would be for you (the judges) to keep track of the submissions (how many times they've appeared and if they already won an award) and make a fair judgement from case to case... If we all do our best to be fair, creative and resposible, then there's really no need to limit ourselves with a rule like the above...

13. kylewis

kylewis

grenoouille and lomodirk are right,like many of you I also feel that to be fair the 24h rumble is too short if you want new material.
    I agree with the new rule and understand your reasons but unless we have a way of knowing what we may have submitted before, with the amount of comps going on it is quite a feat to remember what we have put in!
    Maybe there could be a submission folder that doesn't get touched so we always know what is in it?!
    Longer competitions could be the answer with occasional 24h rumbles as a special...once or twice a month in addition to the others!
    Give us a chance to build archives of different subjects techniques and cameras.
    Let us know if we get boring I'm sure we'll do the same!

14. kylethefrench

kylethefrench

yeah i like the idea of submitting something new each time although i have submitted multiples before for sure--- world pinhole day and diana pinhole rumble for instance (my bad) and also i always upload to the top even if i have some turd shots, i feel like this new rule was made for me, anyways i like following rules so i will follow this new rule for sure---also i like how this people so fired up, shows how much lomographers care which is nice and yeah well who knows

15. anarchy

anarchy

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like rules (who would've guessed, having the username I have, hehe). Anyway, this post had me thinking and I will definitely think more carefully before submitting hence forth...! A history of subimissions would be a perfect tool (I tried to organize that myself, but it would be much better if it was built into our homes)... Anyway, I wouldv'e hoped that we could keep the rules to a minimum 'cause to me they're just limitations, but I'm just expressing my point of view here and I will of course do my best to comply if this rule is final...

16. mephisto19

mephisto19

so maybe the "submit from your lab" function should be enabled again? cause all shots you submit land in your unsorted folder...
    and what'S about no upload limit we are looking for shots for a microsite- rumbles?

17. mephisto19

mephisto19

an why should i upload to my beta- home when people can leave comments on myshots? that is a kind of competition, too... i publish shots and if people look at them, leave comments, vote for them, they judge for them. so do i have to keep my good shots provate, nobody sees them and i surprise lomo-world? and some shots have not been submitted open, so you, the judges saw them (if always the same people are judges)

18. mephisto19

mephisto19

jpgmag makes the shots that have been submitted grey..... maybe that would help
    unable them to be submitted from the lab...

19. mephisto19

mephisto19

and what is about shots that have been posted in the blog section, e.g. as new technique
    does it count as participated?
    or sample shots for camera/film reviews?

20. kirri-joy

kirri-joy

i think that there should be an automatic function built into the new homes so that if you submit a photo to a rumble or comp, it places it in a folder so you know the ones you've submitted, like a lot of people have suggested already and like on the old site.

21. -a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

-a-l-b-e-r-t-o-

According to me 24h rumble and mission have different approach…the first is to find in your archive the shots that fit with the theme…creativity? Mmm Just to interpret in the best possible way the theme but you know rumble is so exciting… you want to be in and so it can be that you force yourself to upload the same shot, because it can change the way you interpret the shot…and it’s also possible that your shot is perfect for the next rumble. So don’t you have to partecipate? I don’t know…A mission is something that you live deeply…you go to work and think the mission, you travel and try to catch an image respondent to the mission…you can build in your mind the shot…but one week it’s not enough for a mission…no rules, no limitations…keep track about the shots and rumbles submitted on our home, when for example kirri-joy (because he is the last who wrote) see a shot on my lomohome he can also see if he wants for what rumbles that shot was submitted for and maybe also my motivation, there will be a motivation!!!...in this way the lomographer will be more responsible…and at the same time it’s your job (the judges) to make a fair judgement from case to case among millions of pictures…

22. breakphreak

breakphreak

@mephisto19, some of your ideas from yours very first comment were just the thing I was about to say :) agreed, of course. and also about quality over quantity (anarchy) and, also, yeah - some sane limit should be, but not that short, please.

23. mandashitley

mandashitley

I agree with everyone's agreeing with grenoouille.

24. kazarareta

kazarareta

@Everyone: We sincerely appreciate your comments and a lot of valid points have been made. The lomostaff will be discussing these major points of argument soon and will come up with compromises to satisfy all concerned parties.

Again we apologize if this will cause some adjustments on how you submit items for the rumbles - we want everything to run smoothly with the upcoming website relaunch and we're still trying out which rules and functions work to balance everything out.

As for your suggested added functions with contest submissions we will forward your queries to our backend and see as to how far we could take it.

25. azurblue

azurblue

I agree with mandashitley who agrees with....

To my opinion, 24 h is too short and unfair to new lomographers : older ones can pick a photo from their archives, the others, no.

It's not easy to make a good photo, it takes time, and times too for the lab. I do medium format and there are only 2 labs in my city : and when I cross-process, it takes at least 3 days, because they send the rolls in Italy to process them !!!

Too much photos kill the photos ! I hardly take a look at every pic when they are too numerous.
    And for me too much pics = numeric, not analogic!!!

And when there are too many competitions, I can't give a look at every one.

I prefer quality to quantity !

Maybe you should put a limit to the number of pic we can upload, too (just like some flickr groups).

26. saviorjosh

saviorjosh

I totally understand that the lomostaff wants new blood for every rumble, actually that's what I want too, but sometimes we have to submit the same pics again and again simply because some rumbles have similar or even itentical themes, such as travel, New York, shoes...etc. So to avaid the same submissions, please make sure every rumble/competition has a different theme in the first place.

27. lucasjakobsson

lucasjakobsson

we agree that some of our rumbles are similar and that it is hard, if not impossible to take some new shots for each theme. we realize this and it was not our intention to ask you to spend your afternoons taking new shots and then extra money on 1 hour development. instead we wanted to ask that you submit "smartly" to a rumble - so photos that fit the theme, dont upload just to fill the limit and vary you selection. also, submitting the same photo twice is not a big problem and maybe it is the perfect shot for the theme, it is when the submissions constantly repeat that it catches our eyes, and of course yours as well

we will work on making your suggestions reality and other ways to improve the rumbles that we host here :)

28. vicuna

vicuna

The best solution anyway is to have a precise submitting limit (1 or 3 max, that needs a real effort to think what to submit) because when there's no upload limit, you can of course submit (and re-submit) a lot of shots that don't specially fit to the theme... with a very limited amount, you think about what fits the best.
    And the second thing about time (to refresh your production and submissions) is essential: for example, concerning the "Lubitel flash" rumble, I had the time to make a whole roll specially for the rumble, to think about it, experimenting and produce new shots. And I had the chance to be one of the 3 winners! Not sure, I f I only had 24 hours that it would have been the case.....

29. johann_affendy

johann_affendy

i think we should be allowed to submit the same picture over and over again as long as it fits the theme and hasn't been awarded before.

30. annegreat

annegreat

Does this rule also apply to photos which has already been used for a location, camera or film review and now fit to a rumble theme (or vice versa)?

31. breakphreak

breakphreak

@vicuna: no digital enforcement can effectively control human factor :) after weeks of coding and QAing your kindly proposed feature one will easily be able to modify his/her pic a bit and resubmit (and resubmit) {and resubmit} :)

@lucasjaakobsson: I wouldn't look for a quick solution. The community must not be only entertained but sometimes even guided. Sometimes a personal/public comment may be way more helpful then enforcing some digital restriction. And yes, we like our photos, some of them are considered to have a moderate potential at least, so we retry the submission in various aesthetics contexts, no shame :) Me is no exclusion and at least one of my pics was disqualified without a prior notice and without any option to resubmit anything else. I apologize if that personal interpretation does not match your subjective reality, but still, some things could be probably done smoother. After all it's fun to maintain such a big and creative community :)