The Great LC-A Race ended over 5 years ago

Calling out around the world, are you ready for a brand new race?

Calling out around the world, are you ready for a brand new race?

mattcharnock came up with an idea to wonderful to be left lying around. A race that requires 4 teams of 36 Lomographers to work together to win.

The rules: We will send four LC-A+ cameras to four Lomographers in four corners of the globe. The challenge is then to race them back, but each camera must make 36 stops along the way back to Vienna!

The Lomographer who receives the first camera, takes one stunning picture, they then send the camera to the next Lomographer who then takes an incredible shot, that person then sends the camera to another lomographer who takes … You get the picture. The first Camera to make it back to LSI headquarters will provide the winning gallery and glory will be split 36 ways.

No you don’t have to be a mathematition to work out that 4 cameras with 36 shots on roll equals….errr…. a lot of Lomographers, so we need you guys to volunteer and sign up to the Great Lomographic Race.

But before you get too excited, there are some rules:

• Anyone who does not own an LCA can take part in the race, everyone else can cheer, whoop and holla.
  • Once you get the camera you must take ONLY 1 picture and send it of to the next person on the list
  • While you have the camera you are responsible for it
  • When you have sent the camera to the next address on the list (will be given to you) you have to write Matt a message as he will blog about the race

If you are interested, drop Adrian
an email!

Remember, first come first served! Dont miss this unique opportunity to try out the LC-A+!

As soon as we have enough Lomographers that have volunteered we send the cameras out. We will then announce the 4 teams – and when we do, the race is on!

written by lucasjakobsson

1. hanspan

hannah is IN IN IN IN

2. ndroo

ndroo

Hahaha! Hanspan, I was about to comment that this will make you go 'YAY!' :D

Crazy fun! Too bad I can only cheer, whoop and holla.

Cant' wait to see the results!

3. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

I am too excited about this race I think a little bit of wee just came out!

4. hanspan

hanspan

i'll do it on my own... knowing the british postal system i could post them on the same day and they would all arrive at differnt times!! hahaha!

5. grad

grad

I'm in race!
    Who with me?

6. lomodirk

lomodirk

I`m not allowed to take part? Ok, I`ll cheer then ;)

7. ethermoon

ethermoon

woah!! too bad I bought an LC-A and it just arrived this January!!

8. dirklancer

dirklancer

LOVE it.
    If only a I hadn't received my first LC-A+ for Christmas!
    (Matt, I would be MORE than willing to collaborate on the blog!)

9. breakphreak

breakphreak

would like to participate, but dunno where will I be at the moment of the race - is that a prob? :)

10. larslau

larslau

I own an LC-A+ - that means I can't be a part of it?

What is that rule all about?

11. halfawakehaiku

halfawakehaiku

cool project

12. hanspan

hanspan

larslau - its for people who don't have an lc-a!!
    it's to give those who aren't priveledged enough (YET)

13. somapic

somapic

HALLO EVERYBODY! PLease send us your adresses in the application mail! We need those to send you the lc-a and team you up with fellow lomographers all over the world!

14. fabyen

fabyen

cool idea !
    tough I have to wait for another camera race !

15. adi_totp

adi_totp

my question is same with larslau.. i still don' get it ;p

16. hanspan

hanspan

you have an lc-a already!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. adi_totp

adi_totp

hey indonesian lomographers... yohooooooo!

18. lucasjakobsson

lucasjakobsson

we want to show that the LCA+ is an easy camera to use and to give those that have not had a chance to use this camera an opportunity as well.

19. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

Hey dudes, sorry that this excludes people (even me) from the race but it is in the interest of fairness, so that all the Athletes (as i like to call them) are competing at the same weight( i am trying to sound all sporty but know very little about sports) I am hoping that this will be the first of many races!

20. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

But that means that the race is concentrated around the LCA as a product and not around the results the whole idea will bring forth. If everyone could take part it would reflect this is an international community that is connected through the use of this one magical camera. I think its completely next to the point if someone already has an LCA or not. To me its about the pictures, about the amazing gallery that will come out of it and about the community, and not about the race being a propaganda stunt to promote the camera as a product.

21. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

everyone should be able to take part!

22. dirklancer

dirklancer

Jumping off of mattcharnock's sports analogies, and maxpinckers point about the community, gallery, etc, I suggest we hold a simultaneous "Special Olympics" (plastic/disposable/toy cameras only)! Who will reach the finish line first - my disposable or your LCA? Only time will tell!!!

23. hanspan

pretty funky dirklancer!!

24. hanspan

hanspan

lomolitos for the lc-a owners??

25. dirklancer

dirklancer

rumour has it mattcharnock has a box of disposables just waiting for some action...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

26. hanspan

hanspan

despite the negativity, i hope that the reasoning behind matt's choices!?
    you obviously all really want to have a go.. so maybe a deadline for entrants should be applied giving non lc-a owners preference??

27. yoscolmi

yoscolmi

i totaly agree with maxpinckers!

this should be about the big global network, how wonderful this camera is and what kind of great pictures one can take with NO MATTER if that person owns an lc-a or not!

28. hanspan

hanspan

did you buy that box of disposables matt?????? you never told me about that - as i thought that was our plan!!??

29. maxpinckers

heheh yea
    Im in for the lomolitos - still need to buy some though
    LETS DO IT

30. hanspan

hanspan

what is with peoples negativity? would you rather it didnt happen at all??

How do you think it feels to miss out on all of the LC-A action that goes on around here????????????

31. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

I'm not negative about it, i think its a great idea!
    I just don't think its right that half the community isn't allowed to take part.

32. larslau

larslau

@hanspan:

It's sort of fun. I don't see the LC-A as a magical camera in any way, so I don't think It's a privilege to own or use that cam. I just thought of it as maxpinckers -- as something where you send a bounch of cameras around the world, and maybe get amazing results... Personally I don't care if it was an LC-A or a paper camera loaded with some decent film.

33. dirklancer

dirklancer

@hanspan
    I love your excitement about getting to shoot with an LC-A, it makes me smile
    @mattcharnock
    sorry I mentioned the box of disposables, that was out of place here
    @maxpinckers
    I just took a look at your home - your pictures rock!
    @everybody
    c'mon, feel the love. :)
    how about "Around the World in 36 Exposures - A Lomolitos Adventure?"

34. hanspan

hanspan

dirklancer - you seriously don't know how excited i am.
    f i don't get picked i will seriously cry!!!!

35. larslau

larslau

@hanspan:

Have you never tried the LC-A or is it just that you don't own one?

You're at least 10 times more excited to be in this thing than I would be (:

36. mephisto19

mephisto19

hope i am in...! :D
    yeah

37. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

okay so how do we get this lomolito adventure organised ?

38. weechonghooi

weechonghooi

I HOPE I CAN JOIN~!!!!

39. hanspan

hanspan

@ larslau i've never tried one or anything, and people are always banging on about how amazing it is.. i want in on the action (i am saving piggies for one!)

40. mephisto19

mephisto19

i want to be in the winning team! :D

41. spendospend

spendospend

I soooo hope im in !!!!!!!!!!! ahhh whooopp whoooop!!

42. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

Me to!

43. cheeso

cheeso

Wow, what a great idea! I hope you all have fun. I have 2 LC-A's so I'll be cheering on my local team!

And why all the complaining? Let people have their fun...

44. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

Cheers cheeso - this is all about having fun!

45. lucasjakobsson

lucasjakobsson

@ most people

im sorry that you feel this is an unfair decision, but like Hanspan also mentioned, most of the competitions here are limited in one way or another, only Diana shoots, only actionsampler shoots (as is the case currently). we wish that there was a way that everyone could always join but sometimes limitations have to be made, this time we though it would be fun to allow those that usually never shoot with an LCA the chance to play with it. depending on how this goes we can have another race, but unless we send out 100s of cameras im afraid there will always be someone who will not be able to take part

46. hanspan

im so excited!!!
    mum had to tell me to breathe when i explained to her what was happening.
    she muttered something to my dad about LC-A and wittering and ever shutup....

47. dogma

dogma

Wow that is really amazing and i wish i could take a part :), but rules are rules. I'm in for lolitos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. dirklancer

dirklancer

@ lucasjakobsson
    well put.
    this competition is awesome.
    I hope the postal system is kind to each and every one of you! :)

49. sohrabmk

sohrabmk

oh I really wanna participate! I'm from Tehran, Iran. think this would work just great! hehe
  50. day3hugger

day3hugger

@ dogma : haha u are so excited about lomolitos that wrote lolitos instead ;)

I also think we should start our own project, not just to win a race, the idea is to just have fun and to create something as a community , I'm so in for the lomolitos project ,or any other plastic camera!

51. paper_doll

paper_doll

I'm in for lomolitos too! :)

52. zulupt

zulupt

Super!!!! Count me in!

53. lomodirk

lomodirk

Hahaha, hanspan`s excitement is really fun :D

@ lucasjakobsson: Sorry, but there is no chance to play with it when there is only one shot for attendants

@ mephisto19: Hey, only for "non-owners" ;)

54. lomodirk

lomodirk

I`ll be in for lomolitos too :)

55. aldo_mariano

aldo_mariano

Guys, your idea is good. But it seems that you forgot something important. Each camera will travel around the planet. Each time the camera will travel from one country to another it will be examined by the X-ray I fear that the film in the camera serra totally destroyed before arriving in Vienna. And I agree with "maxpinckers" It seems that it's only for promote the product and not the result. The idea is interesting, and and I like LCA + for result. But we do not talk with the result, but of product, for this chalenge. I think when the roll of roll will destroyed by the x-ray, then yes we will talk only of product, but not the outcome. Good luck, but I do not with you.

56. lomodirk

lomodirk

Btw, german, austrian and swiss lomographers had a similar project called "Wanderhorizon"

Results are here: www.lomohomes.com/wanderhorizon

57. anarchy

anarchy

I'm cheering, whooping and hollaring for all of you...

And any race I'm not automatically excluded from I'll be happy to take part in =)

Cheers!

58. dogma

dogma

@day3hugger
    :) i'm in to lomololitos and in to lolitos too :))))))))))))))))
    Any way this project is really great and common people, just be happy for those who can take apart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yahooooooooooooooo

59. yoscolmi

yoscolmi

i think that one shot for a person that never used a lc-a before wont be that mega-super-great. but i really like the idea of sending a camera around the world. that is really awesome!

so people: lets do our own project with the lomolitos!!! i'm in! lets do it! : )

60. lomosexual_manboy

lomosexual_manboy

Supa sweet. Can't wait to follow this to the end.
    I don't think x-rays will be a problem. I've heard people worry about this, but never seen any proof it does anything and in all my traveling never had a problem. Let's hope it all goes smooth. Good luck teams.

61. aldo_mariano

aldo_mariano

@lomosexual_manboy

I recently had a problem with a collaboration with a friend. The film was white after treatment. Each country uses the x-ray with different intensity. Of course I hope everything goes well go for each roll. :)

62. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

@aldo_mariano what was the iso of the film you used?

i am super excited by this race and hope everyone enjoys it! And we all get behind a team and go freakin crazy!

63. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

okay EVERYONE that wants to join into the LOMOLITO ADVENTURE send me a mail with your username at

maxpinckers@hotmail.com

I will try to arrange something

64. mephisto19

mephisto19

ups..... stupid me.... i thought everyone who HAS... not everyone who has NOT..... :( so get me off the list

65. aldo_mariano

aldo_mariano

@mattcharnock:
    The last rolI I put on my Lomohome?
    Good luck to you for the challenge.
    But as I have already explained, I will not participate.

@maxpinckers:

66. sonjabean

sonjabean

I agree with lomodirk that one shot per competitor hardly gives the LCA newbie an opportunity to get to "play with the camera." All they will learn about the LCA is where the shutter release button is and how much pressure it takes to push it. It is likely that they won't even see their shot for months in order to get "feedback" about their "experience." Let's call a spade a spade. This is a marketing ploy. But if anyone with an LCA already feels strongly that they wish to participate, it would be very easy to get around this rule, so let's not complain too much.

Speaking of "too much," now onto our English lesson. This sentence "an idea to wonderful to be left lying around" should be "an idea too wonderful to be left lying around." You guys be sure to let me know when that English editing job becomes a work from home dealie.

67. alexandraruby

alexandraruby

Wow an excellent idea! Glad to be cheering :)

68. hanspan

hanspan

i think the attitude of certain members is disgraceful - it's not the end of the world that there is something you cant take part in!
    Welcome to my world - the non LC-A owner..
    we are like a group of outsiders (no offence to the others like me!)

69. hanspan

@sonjabean

isn't lomography.com a marketing ploy? And a very successful one?
    if you enjoy doing something then do it.. i wish to participate, and for once this is an LC-A orientated event that i the non-owner can participate in.

Giving piggies - marketing ploy ... you can't let them waste..
    using pictures from rumbles for promotion - marketing
    the freebies and offers available - marketing

but wihtout marketing lomography wouldn't be as successful, the LC-A wouldn't be here, people would have binned millions of cameras, people wouldn't have hobbies and we wouldn't be a "community" (although i use that term losely at the moment!)
    wthout marketing i wouldn't have a hobby that i enjoy and Benefit from in so many ways!

70. aldo_mariano

aldo_mariano

We does not speak of end of the world, indeed.
    Everyone is free to express his opinion, good and less good :)

71. xbalboax

xbalboax

cool idea, gonna sit by the sidelines and watch i guess.

in regards to the xray issue the best way to beat it is to use a low iso film and on the packaged write film please do not xray. that usually works for me when i do swaps. i have had rolls go through xray during travel and the machine does erase the photos, its not fun.

i have an idea that might be cool as well. instead of lc-a race around the world, a lomolito race around the country. each country will get a lomolito or 2 depending on how many states they have and take a self portrait of themselves and send the camera to the next lomographer in a different state. im down to start the one for the US. if anyone in the US is interested send me a message on my gb or pm and ill get you all the details in due time.

72. hanspan

hanspan

do we get a badge for participating?????

73. sonjabean

sonjabean

@hanspan

If they presented this as an opportunity for non-LCA users to get to touch an LCA, that would be one thing. But to act like it's some great adventure with some higher purpose is quite another. Even to suggest that the people who get the camera have an opportunity to "play with it" borders on ridiculous, unless by "play with it" you mean have a tea party with it and sew a hat for it before you send it to the next person. And of course everything they do here can be seen as a marketing ploy. But then I guess the whole world is a marketing ploy, so why stop at lomography.com?

74. maxpinckers

@ hanspan

First of all, lomography existed long before it became a commercial online product. The LCA existed long before lomography.com
    I don't agree that lomography.com is a marketing ploy. The beauty about it is that the community gives as much to lomography as lomography gives back to the community (piggies, etc etc), and that everything is based on this interaction. Of course there is marketing involved but the most important thing here stays - the photo's, the enjoyment, the community, the sharing, the interaction, the competition, the excitement, the experience. Its not about money for the lomographers (maybe it is for lomography as a product these days but that's another story).
    I was already surprised when they took a step too far with the 'snatch' idea. But this goes too far in terms of marketing. I mean common, who is gonna be happy that they've held an LCA and got to press the button 'once'. Its a romantic idea yes, but i don't buy it.
    Let everyone take part!!!!

75. hanspan

@sonjabean
    i jsut think that it's all been blown out of proportion now, i don't thinki t's fair on matt for people to be so negative, this kind of response doesn't occurr when people can't participate in other rumbles and such.
    admittedly it's dissappointing to not be able to be involved due to one restriction or another. I find myself not being able to submit often for one reason or another, and i must say i am excited to be given the chance to be involved withsomething like this (if you couldn't tell)
    afaik LSI have requested certain restrictions to be put in place, but remember this is the idea of one man, one man who is having to watch his good intentions shattered.
    Its a shame all members can't be involved, but like LSI have already stated their reasons for this, its their rules.
    I think this should be so interesting to see non LC-A users pics.. a first few roll of total guesswork!!! and a view of the world.. all in a race to "don't think - just shoot"

regardless of all of this going on, i'm still as excited as i was a few hours ago.
    but now i fear that my attempts at participation may end in horrible public slating!?

76. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

look man, this isn't about being negative or about you getting to hold an lca. Its about the principles of the lomography community. maybe you should do some more thinking instead of your "don't think just shoot" attitude.

77. mattcharnock

mattcharnock

Ok i think that this is out of hand. This thing is actually my idea. It is an idea that I tried last year and sadly i was let down by a member of our on line community and my project came to a halt. This time I asked LSI for support, so that i maybe wouldnt run aground again. They liked my idea. Over the last few days a few changes have been made to the idea, but the essence of the journey is still the one that set out to achieve. 4 cameras that that race round the world from lomographer to lomographer capturing the spririt of free shooting on a massive scale. In my plan the film i was going to use had 24 exposures with Lomography support we can use 36 which means 48 mor people can get involved, but it will still only be 144 people.
    The main thing I love about lomography is the support that lomographers show each other, I never really see what we do as being about individuals but about a little corner of the web that is our community, where crazy colours, out of focus pictures, wierd double exposures are celebrated. i am sad that not everyone can take part, and it also amazes me the response because what ever your argument has been you were passionate enough about this project to write something. i hope that we can see this project out as a community supporting each other, like the one that I joined over a year ago. And if all goes according to plan this is only the first race, but not the last, so while maybe you can't be part of this race (and i say again that i cant join in my own race because I have an LCA) There will be more. Sorry if this seems preachy but i am really excited abou this idea and i was hoping that it would be a really positive thing. Thanks for all your comments.

78. hanspan

i'm excited too!!! :D

79. maxpinckers

maxpinckers

Its a great idea matt, nothing against you. I've made my point so ... good luck everyone !

80. somapic

somapic

HELLO EVERYBODY! The race is officially open for all of you - we´ve made up our minds. Two cams will go to lomographers that don´t have one the other two are reserved for lucky owners. That´s fair, isn´t it? Just leave a note in your application mail and tell us if you are an owner or not please.
    Now, ready- steady - go! Apply for taking part!
    Good luck and have a nice weekend!
    Adrian

81. dirklancer

dirklancer

For the record, I am cheering for Team North America.
    We are broad, but our postal service is swift.
    To the rest of the teams - good luck, but don't get your hopes up ;)

(this message is a paid advertisement for Team North America)

82. aldo_mariano

aldo_mariano

Matt,
    As I already said, the idea is very good. I only expressed my opinion :)
    Good luck!

83. maxpinckers

Ah fantastic !
    This is more like it !

i just signed up

84. hanspan

hanspan

mancpinckers - i totally agree with waht you said it's how i view things, but if this is claimed to be a "marketing ploy" then so is everything else!

I'm glad LSI have resolved this issue that had occurred!

@ somaic - will you stop rubbing it in that LC-A owners are lucky... i'm so jealous!!!! and so glad that i hopefully have an opportunity to be involved in something worldwide!

85. hanspan

hanspan

just to clarify - is there a lomolitos vs lca.. or all lc-a?

86. xbalboax

xbalboax

this is what is so great about the lsi, you speak they listen and act!

87. hanspan

i mean lomolitos in addition to the 4 lc-a's

88. mephisto19

mephisto19

okay... so am i in again`???

89. somapic

somapic

@ hanspan - ok I´ll try to avoid that annoying adjective ;-)
    this time we´ll send out 4 lc-a´s racing. If this goes well we´ll surely think of many other races with different cameras...
    we´re always glad for nice ideas - we just can´t alway realise them all at once (much to our regret!) anyways you´re always welcome to deposit suggestions!
    have a nice weekend!

90. hanspan

hanspan

you are if you apply quick enough! there are plenty of LC-A owners who want in!!!!

91. maxpinckers

its just lca's,

but ill be doing the same with lomolito's in a couple of months (together with mattcharnock),
    if you want to take part send me your username to

maxpinckers@hotmail.com

92. hanspan

max - i've e-mailed :D

93. maxpinckers

cool

94. dogma

dogma

max - me too :)

95. oldskool_rider

oldskool_rider

is it just adrian@lomography.com we have to email to?

96. alexandrak

alexandrak

@oldskool_rider adrian.bilek@lomography.com is the address!

97. rafael_ss

rafael_ss

what is in between rider and adrian on the email address? It isn't possible that is a blank space.
  98. rafael_ss

rafael_ss

sorry I've made a mistake, I missunderstud the message
  99. rafael_ss

rafael_ss

alexandrak, I sent you my address for the applicantion. I'm waiting for a confirmation.
  100. rafael_ss

rafael_ss

What's the prize?
  101. _twist_of_fate_

_twist_of_fate_

this sounds so awesome!!!
    just wondering...is there any fee for participating?

102. tiffxi

COOL!!! What's the prize??
  103. kirri-joy

kirri-joy

damn the international timezones! while everyone was so passionately debating this project I was sleeping in Australia. Ah well - I love this project! Here's me lamenting over the fact that I can't afford an LCA for ages...and heres this sweet rumble! ah-ha!

:) and hanspan, my family mumble things about my obbession with lomography too. after one particularly long story they suggested I start a club in ballarat. and so i made up some flyers - i'm distributing them on monday :) (i will still be telling them stories - geez.)

104. lomosexual_manboy

lomosexual_manboy

I think the prize is the ability to be involved in such a globally epic event.

105. riki_87

riki_87

heeeeeeeeeeey!
    I'M IN TOO!!
    I DON'T HAVE AN LOMO LC-A CAMERA

106. hanspan

hanspan

@kirri-joy - i'm gladit's not just me!

when do the selected become announced???

107. rafael_ss

rafael_ss

I've already sent my application email, but I didn't get an answer :(
  108. hanspan

@rafael_ss
    - i think we'll get all those who were picked on the first come first served basis will be announced shortly i hope :D
    there will be two lists, LC-A owners and non owners i presume :D

109. panelomo

panelomo

oh! oh!

would there be an LC-A Race Asian version? :)

110. zulupt

zulupt

Great!!!
    Count me in!

111. rafael_ss

rafael_ss

I hope to be on the list of non owners.
  112. vicuna

vicuna

Do we finally know the list of the teams??

113. spendospend

spendospend

how long for the team sheets lol??

114. hanspan

hanspan

any update on this guys?????
    my patience is wearing thin! i'm excited..

115. ng1336

ng1336

oh dear ... am i missing out the race ??
    wat is adrian's email ?? i can't retrieve it ....

help me out here !!!

merci !!
    love from hong kong !!

116. mephisto19

mephisto19

any news???????????????????

117. somapic

somapic

Due to the amazing response to the LC-A race we´re still buisy assigning hopefully all applicants to a raceteam. Please be patient - we´re as excited as you are - we just need to safeguard the race route.
    my mail is adrian.bilek@lomography.com please excuse the fact that I cant respond to all your race - application mails personally!

118. hanspan

hanspan

WOW!!! the ball is in progress - i'm excited (again)

119. spendospend

spendospend

yea im real excited again too, jus hope i can be part of it :D pretty pleeezzzeeeeee...

120. maxpinckers

?

121. hanspan

i'm still excited...

122. mephisto19

mephisto19

ANY NEWS???

123. panelomo

panelomo

anyone wanna give me an lca? :)

124. adayinthelife_project