After postponing the event for one week because of inclimate NYC winter weather, on December 19th 2010 we held The Great Cross-Town Scavenger Hunt!
The event began at the new Lomography Shop in the Gramercy neighborhood in NYC where each of the 8 teams were given an LC-A+ camera and a list of things to seek out and photograph, with a Lomography sticker in the shot of course!
1) 50 points – It may or may not be snowing today throughout the city, but it’s definitely snowing on 57th St! Look up and capture the giant snowflake!
2) 25-100 points – Capture the ugliest holiday sweater (must be worn by someone and they must hold up the sticker). The points will be decided by our judges!
3) 25 points – The windows at Saks 5th Ave are a staple of the holidays in NYC… get a picture of the window with your team in the reflection holding the sticker!
4) 30 points – 70 Rock minus 40 Rock equals… we’re not good at math, but we do know where the biggest tree in town is. Get a shot of it with the sticker in the frame!
5) 40 points – Crossing town is easy with so many options like buses, taxis, and trains… take a multiple-exposure image of 2 forms of transit on top of the other! Cross a bus and a taxi, a taxi and a train, or a train and a bus!
6) 66.6 points – Hell has frozen over! Somewhere on 5th avenue is a the number of the beast! Look up and get a picture and get a hell of a lot of points!
7) 15 points for each – Analogue Love is in the air… so find strangers and ask them to snuggle up with someone in your team for some points. (don’t forget the sticker!)
8) 25 points – Analogue Love is nice, but you know how to get down and dirty afterwards! Find a store window with some sexy business going on in it! (hint: try the museum of sex on 5th avenue!)
9) Take a photo of someone holding the most shopping bags and get 5 points for each bag in their hand!
10) 20 points – Santa… we know he’s busy at the moment, but maybe he’ll have time for a quick photo break?
11) 10 points – The Lomo LC-A has its origins in Russia, so make it feel at home by finding someone wearing a Russian hat!
12) 30 bonus points for the team with the picture of the longest shopping line!
13) 30 points – Santa might be undercover in the city at the moment, so maybe you can find him? Take a photo of a guy with a (real) long white beard. Have him wear a Santa hat for 20 bonus points!
14) 10 points – A dog wearing a sweater.
15) 10 points – A wreath on a car.
16) 5 points each for: Someone wearing earmuffs, someone wearing leg warmers, someone wearing a ski mask!
17) 10 points for each person you get to pose without a shirt!
After frantically Lomoing around the city, the teams ended the hunt at the Greenwich Village Lomography shop where we processed their film on the spot. The photos were scored with bonus points added for fast times and extra creativity. After much deliberation the judges picked 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
Team “Gros Tas” came out victorious and each team member took home a Lomography Sprocket Rocket camera!
This event was epic fun! Be on the lookout for a couple more scavenger hunt events this year.
Check out some of our upcoming NYC workshops: