Film truly is a Photographer’s best friend - And to prove it, here are 35 reasons to love 35mm film (or any kind of film for that matter!).
(1) It lasts – Love it or hate it, looking through your Gran’s photos from way back when is irrefutable proof of film’s durability.
(2) It’s spontaneous – Golden Rule Number 6. ‘Don’t Think (William Firebrace’)
(3) It’s reliable
(4) It’s classy. Nothing beats black and white film photography for the look of effortless cool.
(5) It’s traditional – Analogue is where it started and Analogue is where it’s at!
(6) It’s easy – Remember, ‘Point and shoot’ started with analogue!
(7) It’s tangible – The feel of that print in your hands. Hold it, touch it, you made that photo.
(8) It’s genuine
(9) Analogue photography is all about getting emotional and emulsional.
(10) 35mm Film gives vibrant colours
(11) 35mm Film gives better colours
(12) Film photography is artistic.
(13) Film photography is sexy
(14) Film photography is safe – Your less likely to get mobbed walking down the street holding your Fisheye than your hyper-whiz digicam. Fact.
(15) The accuracy – Digital interpolates (guesses). Film knows.
(16) The sharp focus
(17) The natural colours (if you want them!)
(18) Once you’ve taken a photo you move on. Next frame please!
(19) When it works, it’s a miracle. When it doesn’t work, it somehow still works. Those blurry photos still get stuck on the fridge because they have CHARACTER!
(20) No L.C.D. screen. So no Life Consuming Distractions.
(21) When you take an analogue photo, you are in the moment.
(22) All the benefits of digital (if you want them!)
(23) Happy accidents are priceless.
(24) Slower is better – Analogue Photography might take some time but it takes time to create things which will last and be valued.
(25) THE HOLY GRAIN – Film photography shows grain. Digital photography will never be able to show grain because it has no film to show grain on.
(26) Digital is forgettable – Photo goes on your computer, gets lost in ‘My Pictures’ never to be see again.
(27) The dynamic range. Film is better at capturing those little details.
(28) Film doesn’t get viruses!
(29) Control – Choose your film, choose your aperture, choose your shutter speed etc
(30) That feeling of anticipation you get when you go to collect your roll.
(31) The physical link – Your photo isn’t made up of 0’s and 1’s, it’s made from light hitting film – so it’s, like, made from the WORLD man (sorry, it’s the hippy in me).
(32) The learning process – Some people say film photography is harder. It’s not. It just teaches you more.
(33) Sprockets! – You won’t see these bad boys in digital, they are all about the analogue.
(34) Film is better for those loooooooooooooong exposures.
(35) The reward
Explore the full selection of Lomography 35mm film in the Shop
Read more about why film is awesome on the Future is Analogue microsite
Take part in our Shoot your Prophecy Rumble