This episode of Lomopedia goes big with the classic Graflex Crown Graphic. Tour large-format territory with this camera and learn more about it after the break.
Favored by newspapermen of the 1940s up to the 1950s, the Graflex Crown Graphic camera is still alive and kicking with its various features and the high-quality photos it can produce. The Crown Graphic is a 4×5 folding camera that uses large format film. It is similar to the Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic but was made without the focal plane shutter.
The Crown Graphic is lightweight. Due to this characteristic, newspapermen of earlier times preferred to carry the Crown Graphic as their press cameras. It can also cater to a range of wide-angle lenses that are shorter than 65mm.
Aside from being a preferred hand-held camera for newsmen, the Crown Graphic also fares well as a field camera. The folding camera sets up easily and can be conveniently used with a tripod and a variety of short lenses. Images produced with the Graflex Crown Graphic are highly detailed especially when taken with 4×5 films in the line of Kodak Tri-X Pan and Kodak Portra 400 with ASA ranges of 320 to 3200.
If you’re looking to tread into large format territory, the Graflex Crown Graphic camera may be a viable choice for you. Take hand held photos like newspapermen of past or quickly set up for some landscape shots with this large format camera.
Graflex Crown Graphic Technical Specifications:
- Type: Large format folding camera
- Film: 4×5 sheet film in sheet film holders
- Shutter Speeds: 1 to 1/400, B, T, and Open
- Viewfinder: Sports finder, telescopic wire frame in the front standard and retractable peep hole with parallax correction, optical viewfinder with auto parallax correction and interchangeable masks for different lenses
- Rangefinder: coupled rangefinder
- Back: Graflok back with integrated ground glass and removable folding metal shade
- Focusing: double knurled knobs, on rails with folding infinity stops and focus lock
- Movements of the front standad: Tilt 20, Bed drop 20, Rise 26mm, Shift, 19mm. 8.5mm each way from zero position
- Mount: Double tripod mount – bottom for landscape and side for portraits
- Weight: 2.6 kg
Here are some sample photos taken with the Graflex Crown Graphic camera from the community: