Continuing with our quest to showcase some of the most intriguing cameras ever made, today's installment looks back at an unusually designed snapper made by Canon in the early 1990s.
After the introduction of the Yashica Samurai X3.0 and the Ricoh Mirai in the late 1980s, Canon seemed to have finally caught on the “bridge” camera craze. In 1990, they introduced the Canon Photura (also known as Epoca in Europe and Autoboy Jet in Japan), a 35mm autofocus camera with a 35 – 105mm zoom lens, made for one-hand operation. Like the Samurai and the Mirai, the Photura looks like a modern video camera due to its unusual cylindrical shape. While it’s not an SLR camera, the Photura had nice touches such as the powerful built-in flash, drop-in film loading, and 3-point Smart Autofocus for accurate focusing. A close-up unit makes macro photography possible from 0.55 m to 0.8 m.
- Type Fully automatic 35mm Lens-Shutter autofocus camera with zoom lens
- Picture Size: 24×36 mm and panorama (Japanese version only)
- AF System: 3-point Smart Autofocus with near-infrared beam. Prefocus enabled. Close-up warning provided. One focusing point (at center). 0.8 m – infinity and infinity-only modes provided. Fixed magnification mode: Zooms automatically to 1/55 of image size.
- Lens: 35-105mm f/2.8-6.6 (10 elements in 9 groups). Power zoom lever provided.
- Shutter: Electromagnetic programmed shutter and aperture. In auto mode and flash-on mode: EV 9.75 (f/2.8 at 1/100 sec.) – EV 15 (f/11 at 1/250 sec.) at 35mm, and EV 12.25 (f/6.6 at 1/100 sec.) – EV 17.5 (f/27 at 1/250 sec.) at 105mm. In slow-speed sync mode and flash-off mode: EV 2 (f/2.8 at 2 sec.) – EV 15 (f/11 at 1/250 sec.) at 35mm, and EV 4.5 (f/6.6 at 2 sec.) – EV 17.5 (f/27 at 1/250 sec.) at 105mm. Built-in electronic self-timer.
- Viewfinder: Direct zoom viewfinder. Switchable between eye-level finder and direct low-angle zoom finder
- Eye-level finder magnification: 0.35x – 1.05×. Low-angle finder magnification: 0.21x – 0.62×. Dioptric correction lever provided for dioptric correction from -2 to 0 diopters. 84% coverage. Within the image area are the AF frame, parallax correction marks, AF lamp (green LED), and AE lamp (red LED).
- EE: Composite SPC for full-auto program EE with 3-zone metering. Metering range of EV 2 – 17.5 (ISO 100). Film speed range: ISO 25 – 3200 (with DX code).
- Built-in Flash: Built-in flash in cap. Guide No. 12 – 25 (at ISO 100 in meters). Fires automatically in low-light and backlit conditions. Red-eye reduction lamp provided.
- Power Source: One 6 V 2CR5 lithium battery
- *Film Loading & Advance: After opening camera back, drop-in film loading. Then close the camera back for auto loading. Automatic film advance with built-in motor. Film advance speed of 1 fps.
- Frame Counter: Two-digit display with 7-segment LCD.
- Film Rewind: Automatic rewind with built-in motor. Midroll rewind enabled.
- Dimensions & Weight: 100 × 74 × 156 mm, 645 g (with battery)