On this day, 53 years ago, the first manned space flight was made, opening a brand new era in space exploration.
Things weren’t as advanced as they are now and everyone was just starting to wonder what lays beyond our planet. Luckily, the 27-year-old Russian Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin took the responsibility of exploring the unknown realms of the outer space. On April 12, 1961, on board the Vostok 1 spacecraft, Gagarin circled the Earth for 1 day and 48 hours. That momentous day, he became not only the first man to travel to space but also the first man to go around the Earth. Gagarin’s success was lauded by the world and put the Soviet space program up the pedestal.
To honor this groundbreaking milestone in space exploration, Cosmonautics Day was established in Russia on April 9, 1962. Today, the celebration includes a visit to Gagarin’s grave in the Kremlin Wall Necropolis and Yuri’s Night.
Why don’t we pay homage to the legendary Yuri Gagarin by doing what we are best known at? Yes you got that right, let’s honor the first man to go on a journey outer space through our fantastic space-themed Lomographs! Astronauts, stars, planets, rocket ships are all welcome, just make sure they are enough to make us go wow to win a grand prize of 30 piggies and a special badge straight to your LomoHomes!
- One grand prize winner of 30 piggies and 5 winners of 10 piggies each. All winners will get a special badge straight to their LomoHomes
- Maximum of five submissions per user
- Don’t forget to tag your photos (film, cameras, accessories, tags)
- Submissions must be taken using an analogue camera. Please keep in mind our theme.
- Rumble will run for a week.
Go start exploring and send us your space-themed photographs!