This newest camera from Lomography was easy to assemble. A few extra tools make it a little easier
I received my Konstruktor in the mail last week, but being a busy stay-at-home dad to a teething baby does not afford me much time to build a camera. Although it says a 1-2 hour project, it took me several “nap times” assembling a section at a time in a place my little one would not eat the screws.
I found the box fun and I like that it is recyclable.
The parts layout was nice.
While constructing the camera, I found that the included screwdriver was not to my liking. I had a screwdriver for eyeglasses that was more suited to the included screws. I appreciate that the kit provides a tool, but I just preferred my own. I also find that a small cutting tool made removing the parts from the die trees clean and easy. I had less excess plastic on my parts or could clean off little nubs of unwanted plastic.
The final major part assemble went together quite smoothly. I imagined that the small parts would jumble about as I put the face, body and back together, I solved that by skipping ahead a step and putting two screws in to the viewfinder to stabilize the small parts while I fumbled around making sure things lined up.
I then tested the camera on the shutter on normal and bulb modes. I was fascinated by the setting of the shutter movement. I had never seen the movement from a SLR so closely. I have two SLRs but I had not assembled them and their cocking mechanism is internal. I removed the green plastic covering the mirror. I had forgotten to do this on my Recesky TLR and it through me off for a roll. I placed the lens on and began to decorate.
I had seen the red and black decals for the camera form the website, but had not noticed the included white before. Changing it up, I chose white. I found that a pair of tweezers was invaluable in placing the decals and wrap. Yes, those are pink tweezers. My manly rusted ones with skulls on it was in the repair shop so I used my wife’s pair. I used the tweezers to push the material flush and smooth the corners down.
I have assembled seven kit cameras now including the Konstruktor. Neither the hardest nor the easiest, it is probably the most complex of the models if you were to include the SLR mechanism. I would have preferred better diagrams and the parts list at the beginning of the instruction book, but those are personal predilections.
I found a few extra (I hope) screws and a spring leftover after construction. I put those in an old film canister to store for emergency.
Now I am just waiting for the weekend to run a roll or two through it.