You've all been there, it's the middle of the night and you are trying to get some well-deserved sleep, when suddenly, an idea hits you that's either mad or brilliant. What if only one flash on your Diana F+ just isn't enough?
I wanted to bring my wild idea into reality using a lot of colour, but I wasn’t quite sure yet how everything would fit together. When suddenly ,my eye fell onto a pile of Legos, and it all clicked. After a bit of construction (I should be able to insert an epic montage here…) I settled upon a circular shape, big enough to fit around a Fisheye lens.
So, these are the things you need:
- Lots of Legos!
- Two Diana plug-to-hotshoe adaptors
- A Diana+ Flash adaptor
- Hotshoe cables to connect the flashes
- A cable to connect the hotshoe cables with the flash adaptor, I used the cable from an old pair of headphones
- A tripod screw thread
- Power glue
- Equipment for soldering
- Quite a bit of time
My first obstacle arose when I wanted to connect my homemade monster to the Diana F+. I knew I wanted to use the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera, but it was a bit of a struggle. Luckily, I encountered exactly what I needed in a second hand store: the right tripod thread on an old camera handle!
When you buy a Diana flash, there is an adaptor included so you can use the flash on other cameras, using a hotshoe connection, and this is exactly what I used to attach both flashes to the side of my construction. The people from the Amsterdam Lomography gallery store even were kind enough to give one to me, just so I could have two of them in pink, so thanks a lot guys! :) Now, this is where it gets a bit technical, as I drilled a few holes in the Legos, so I could elegantly feed the cables through. Next, I attached the two hotshoe cables to each other, and soldered them onto a cable from a pair of headphones. On the other side of this cable I attached a hotshoe again, which I could connect to the Diana flash adaptor. If you want some more help regarding this section, feel free to ask! To make sure everything wouldn’t fall apart, I strengthened the entire thing with a bit of superglue, Legos can only get you so far…
After shooting the first roll of film, I realized that the choice of colours in the flashes really makes a difference here. The ones I like the most are pictures I took at a close distance, with two different colours. This way you can really see the difference from left to right. If your subject is a bit further away, the colours will mix, and only the shadows will be able to reveal that you used more than one flash.
All in all, I’m pretty excited about my little project. Yeah, it took some work, but the look on people’s faces when they see me walking in with my monster is just priceless!