This is an article introducing how to make homemade red scale film. There are already some fabulous articles about how to make red scale films out there, however I decided to make one with my method. This method keeps film frames in order, and it is useful for EBS (Exposing Both Sides of film) trick as well ☺
【What to Prepare】
1. Color negative film (I recommend films over 400 ISO)
4. Darkroom/Changing bag
1. Go into darkroom with film, scissors, and sellotape.
2. Take out all the film from the film canister in the dark.
3. Leave 1cm (0.4 inches) at the end of the film, cut the negative from the canister in a straight line with scissors.
4. Flip the film you just cut, and attach it to the canister side with scotch tape. Try to tape them straight as possible, lining them parallel. This is the challenging part, but you will get used to it soon. Good luck!
5. Afterward, rewind the film into the canister. If the film is stuck, it might be bent at some points at which point we can simply try it again!
6. Cut the beginning of film to adjust for camera to wind
When you flip the side of film, ISO level goes down two steps. For example, if it’s 800 film, it becomes 200, 400 becomes 100, and 200 becomes 50. If you use this method, you can still keep track of frame numbers, it is easier to organize shots when tackling the EBS method (if you are interested EBS please read about it here! ).
The color result is different when using different films. From my experience, Kodak gives you more yellow, orange color result, and Fuji gives you more magenta, red color result. Depends on what color you’d like to have on your shot, you can choose the film accordingly ☺
Hope this helps! Let’s try to make a red scale film ♪ Enjoy your Redscale life!
If you succeeded making a redscale film, try these as well!
- Shoot with Redscale in Overcast Weather!
- Tipster: How to Take Symmetrical Images with Exposing Both Sides of the Film (EBS)
written by hodachrome on 2013-02-27 in #gear #tipster #lc-a #how #self-made #red-scale #whynotwinnipeg #how-to #technique #hodachrome #handmade #homemade #redscale #to #film #technic
translated by whynotwinnipeg