We're not talking about the most loved/hated photo editing software; we're talking about an actual photo shop! While looking for antique cameras on eBay, we found a vintage photograph depicting a pharmacy-slash-camera shop from way back in 1910! How does it compare to today's photo stores?
Good day, dear shoppers and photographers! Welcome to Palm Garden Pharmacy, where you can buy a Kodak folding camera for $25!
Yup, you’re looking at a drugstore and camera shop in Michigan, USA from 1910, featured on a vintage postcard that was recently auctioned off on eBay. The seller describes the scene in detail:
Up for auction is this extraordinary photograph of a woman in standard Gibson dress standing at a store counter purchasing a Kodak folding camera. The store employee is wearing a jacket and bow-tie which adds charm to the photograph. It is uncertain if the woman is actually buying the Kodak camera, or if the scene here is “staged,” but $25 is about what one would have paid for the Kodak folding camera at that time, which can be seen on the cash register.
1. There are two shelves with Kodak cameras on display
2. There is a “Kodaks” sign with a huge bulb and a hanging wire
3. There is a decorated box which says “The Kodak Box”
4. There is a display board with photographs, which says “Amateur Developing and Printing”
5. There is a cabinet card photograph of a photographer with a tripod camera taking an outdoors photograph of a group of people
6. A 19th century cabinet card is laying face up in the display case with the cameras
7. There is a Kodak photo album for sale at the left side of the counter
8. There is a black postcard album displaying real photo postcards
9. There is a standing postcard rack with what also appear to be real photo postcards (town views and places)
10. There are film and photographic supplies on the shelves
Taken over a century ago, that’s probably one of the first film shops to ever exist! Sadly, there’s not a lot of them left these days. But imagine my joy when I went to Thailand in August and found myself at the Lomography Gallery Store Bangkok!
It’s certainly a lot less dreary than Palm Garden Pharmacy. Its got modern interiors, neon lights, a diverse selection of analogue products, a lot of space for exhibits and workshops, and the trademark LomoWall! Plus, you’re guaranteed that no pharmaceutical drugs are sold side-by-side your film goodies—although don’t be surprised if you get addicted to Lomography! ;-)
written by denisesanjose on 2012-10-15 in #lifestyle #cologne #london #eastlondon #antwerp #sanfrancisco #hongkong-kowloon #vintage #saopaulo #tokyo #nyc #shop #munich #pharmacy #singapore #chicago #amsterdam #milan #taipei #analogue-photography #lomography-embassy-store #berlin #bangkok #taichung #rio #seoul #losangeles #guangzhou #barcelona #analogue-cameras #hongkong #paris #beijing #istanbul #ebay #austin #kodak #manchester #santamonica #toronto #paris-marais #lomography-gallery-store #shanghai