During the summer months, getting together with friends, some nice food and dining al fresco is one of life’s little pleasures that just can’t be beaten. Most of the time, my friends and I will just stick some sausages on the barbeque and have a few beers, but this time I decided to make a little more effort.
First off, go shopping! On your list, put barbeque classics like sausages and burgers but also try and be a bit more adventurous. Prawns, fish, and vegetable kebabs are a great addition as well as interesting snacks such as olives, cured meat, quiche and cheeses. If you really want to make an effort, make some homemade desserts. Here are my recipes for Eton Mess and Chocolate Brownies.
2 teaspoons caster sugar or vanilla sugar
2 teaspoons pomegranate juice
500ml whipping cream
4x small meringue nests from a packet
1) Hull and chop the strawberries and put into a bowl. Add the sugar and pomegranate juice and then set aside.
2) Whip the cream in a large bowl until thick but still soft.
3) Roughly crumble in 4 meringue nests.
4) Fold the cream mixture in with the fruit.
5) Serve in glasses or ice-cream bowls.
225g dark chocolate
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
150g ground almonds
100g chopped walnuts
1) Preheat the oven to 170 degrees or gas mark 3. Melt the chocolate and butter gently over low heat in a heavy-based saucepan.
2) Take the pan off the heat, mix in the vanilla and sugar and let it cool a little.
3) Beat the eggs into the pan along with the nuts. Turn into a 24cm square baking tin.
4) Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, by which time, the top will have set but the mixture will still be gooey. Once cooler, cut carefully into 16 squares.
Another key ingredient to a successful barbeque is good music. Here’s my playlist to get you started!
Mallory Knox – Death Rattle
Hildamay – This House Became Our Home
Stars of the Search Party – Colours
We Are Fiction – My Dreams Are Haunted
Awake the Empire- On My Command
Brand New – Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don’t
Make Do and Mend – Desert Lily
La Dispute – Why It Scares Me
All Get Out – Let Me Go
Basement – Fading
Now you just need some sunshine to have the perfect barbeque!