Who doesn’t know the mad feeling one gets when a Polaroid turns out different than expected? It’s really not necessary. Simply go get some paper, scissors, and glue and make some new and refreshing art out of it.
Again, I was unfortunate that my PX70 was suffering from some chemical problem, which made me quite sad. Since I did not buy the film directly at the Impossible Project, I was not able to return it and get my money back or any refund like that – they are very customer friendly. Anyway, that’s a different story. I was going to tell you what you can do with failed pictures.
The picture you see is made out of the following:
In the PX70 you can replace the background like some old films and where the chemistry is missing, there is only a transparent foil.
Still, nice stuff can be made also on the PC with an editing program. Here, I just worked with several levels, which were cut away at the upper levels of the area without chemicals.
But now, to tinker with the failed polaroids:
- Scotch tape
- colored paper
- Acrylic paint + brush
In the next version, I used a yellow paper, Image and I-Zone pictures. With the image and I-zone photos can be also solved the top film from the lower layer.
Here, I have cut an image picture and painted acrylic paint on the brown unprocessed layer, or directly inside the upper transparent overhead. I have completely separated the second picture from the Polaroid and pushed into the other painted image. In the end, I closed the Polaroid with tape and scribbled on top of it with a CD marker.
Then, I tried the whole thing with Fuji instant Wide Pictures, which one must cut off the undeveloped spot with the scissors. Cutting dissolves the backdrop of what looks very interesting. So, the three images were one again — one of my favorites of the whole action. It’s perfectly safe if adhesive foil instead of scotch tape is used for the whole thing.
I had a couple of faded Polaroids, and because they were so old, the chemicals were completely dried out. I simply filled it with acrylic paint and a little bit of confetti.
So here are the results summarized in a gallery:
Have fun at tinkering and show your results here!