Decoupage is a type of art wherein paper and glue is used to create colorful images. Take your LC-Wide photos to the next level using the classic art of decoupage for in-camera collages!
In short, decoupage (or “The Art of Japanning” as it was called in 18th century England) is the art of decorating an object with paper cut-outs, and the use of paint effects to make the objects look older. After finding my own range of “decoupaged” boxes back, I wondered: why not apply this technique to our beloved lomographs in-camera?
What you need:
- Decoupage paper. In general, you don’t have to actually buy these pre-made. For the included photos, I photocopied sailor flash from a vintage tattoo book I had.
- A black cloth.
- Your LC-Wide.
- Your favorite roll of film. (I used a chrome to cross-process later)
Now, let’s get started!
- Cut out the shapes and/or images.
- Spread your black cloth out over the floor. Don’t worry about creases, those will be your “paint effects” later!
- Load your film and mark it for reloading later. Set your LC-Wide to underexpose by 2 stops. (So if your film is 100 ISO, set it to 400).
- Arrange your images and start shooting! Try different arrangements with your cut-outs; like frames, a waterfall of images, etc. Note: Always make sure there is enough black cloth revealed for your actual photos later (or not, who knows what results that could give you!)
- Once you shot an entire roll, dial back your film and reload it using your marking. Set your ISO to underexpose by 1 stop.
- Now go into the world, and do what you do best!
Note: anything works for decoupage; try different themes, like old ads, comic books, pulp magazines from the ’30s, B-movie posters, … if let your imagination run wild, and so will your photos!
The Lomo LC-Wide boasts the newly-developed 17mm Minigon Ultra-Wide Angle lens. This 35mm camera wonder is the perfect companion for your photo expeditions. It produces eye-catching splashes of colour with astonishing saturation and contrasts with the added versatility of 3 different formats. Open up to a new photographic experience with the LC-Wide, available in our Shop.