As you can guess, I am addict to the Lomo Competitions… This month, the Mephistos April Rumble it’s about traditional food, so a couple of weeks ago, when my boyfriend and me were going to have a “Cochinillo” for lunch, we tough taking some photos could be a good idea.
A disclaimer for vegetarians and sensitive people: the pig looks like a dead pig before putting it into the oven… Basically because it is a dead pig…
The Roast Suckling Pig at Segovia’s Style or as we say here: “Cochinillo” is probably the easiest receipt in the world! It doesn’t need special sauces or spices, because in the way I am going to tell you, it keeps its real taste and it is delicious and soft, almost buttery! So, if you try that receipt at home, don’t “innovate”. Pepper or garlic is forbidden!
Before starting, when you go to the butchery, ask the butcher to clean the pig to cook it in the oven, but not to remove the head.
Ingredients for four hungry people:
- 1 Sucking Pig of approximately 3 kg (or half pig, depending on the size)
- A cup of extra virgin olive oil
1. Put the sucking pig on an oven tray.
2. Add salt and olive oil.
3. Preheat the oven for 20 minutes (220 Cº)
4. Place the pig in the oven. Roast the pig for 2 hours at 180 Cº and an additional half hour at 220 Cº. (That’s to get a crunchy skin)
You can serve it with some roast vegetables or fries.
written by toyam on 2011-04-28