A day before, I had used chemicals from the same left over batch to develop an unimportant roll. The pictures came out more or less okay, so I thought it would be safe to use the chemicals on my holiday roll. The result: epic failure.
It looked like a completely blank (Tungsten) film. Naturally I was pissed off. I left the negatives to dry, forgot about them for a few weeks, and came across them again. On closer inspection, I thougt I could see some slight images on them, so I decided to put at least those bits trough the scanner. I was in for another surprise.
There were recognisable images on there! Sure, they’re extremely low-fi, and often it helps to know what you’re looking at to actually recognise stuff, but still. It’s not a COMPLETE failure. When I looked at those negatives firs, I tought I had no pictures whatsoever, so I’m happy I at least have this. It gave me a whole new respect for my scanner (an Epson V500) as well.
The lesson learned: always run your negatives through the scanner, there might be more on them that the naked eye can see.
written by stratski on 2012-03-17