Dear Lomo friends,
The remaining hours of 2012 are rapidly ticking away, and New Year’s Day is very nearly upon us.
So I have a question for you: Do you want to spend the first day of 2013 sitting around at home watching crap movies on TV while your hangover slowly fades…? If so, I recommend 'Sex Lives of the Potato Men' and a box of Alka-Seltzer ;-)
However, if you would rather make New Year’s Day special and memorable by doing something fun, creative and challenging that involves your favourite hobby, Lomography, I invite you to take part in the world’s first ever New Year’s Day Lomo Race…!
You in? Ok, this is how it works…
You have 10 hours to shoot, process and upload a roll of film, capturing as many of the 12 subjects (plus one bonus subject) that I will post here in an updated version of this blog at the race start time of 8 o’clock (London, UK time) on the morning of Tuesday, 1 January 2013. Points will then be awarded according to the Scoring below and posted in an updated version of this blog later that evening.
And that’s it! Oh, except that one lucky Lomographer will win some really nice prizes, of course…! (See below.)
How to enter
Simply post “Hell yeah, I’m in..!” in the comments below this blog NOW or any time up to race start time (08:00 London, UK time on 1 January 2013).
The race is open to all Lomographers, anywhere in the world, but bear in mind that you need to respect UK times for the race start and finish, which might be tricky if you live in Honolulu. Sorry!
The lucky winner will receive:
• The glory and honour of being officially crowned ‘Winner of the 2013 New Year’s Day Lomo Race’ — a truly unique and priceless award that no other Lomographer in the world can ever claim. Pretty cool, huh…? ;-)
• A really crap Mystery Prize with a retail value of £3.99 (hey, I have three kids, ya know, and Christmas wiped me out!). I will personally ship this to you, wherever you live in the world, and whether you want it or not. (The mystery will be revealed when the scores are posted here.)
• The inalienable right to organise, choose the subjects for and judge the 2014 New Year’s Day Lomo Race. Lucky you, right…?!? But hey, this prize is transferable to a nominated Lomographer of your choice if you’d rather spend 1 January 2014 sitting around watching crap TV all day instead. We won’t hold it against you. Much.
• Every runner-up in this exciting challenge gets the right to tag all the shots in their race album with “I took part in the 2013 New Year’s Day Lomo Race and I won nada, niente, zilch, squat, but it was great fun anyway”. (You may choose alternate words to reflect your actual experience ;-)
• Shoot as many of the subjects included in the must-shoot list as you can (ideally all of them, plus the bonus subject too, if you can). The list of must-shoot subjects and the bonus subject will be published in an updated version of this blog post at precisely 08:00 London, UK time (that’s 09:00 in mainland Europe) on Tuesday, 1 January 2013.
• To maximise your points, you must publish your album in your Lomo home and post a link to it in the comments below this blog post by 18:00 (that’s 19:00 in mainland Europe) on Tuesday, 1 January 2013. Your comment must also indicate the time at which you posted your comment (e.g. “17:45 – My Lomo race album is live here: [link].”). Only London, UK time counts, so bear that in mind if you live in a different country. Albums posted after the deadline will still score points, but not as many (see Scoring, below).
• It doesn’t matter what camera you use (as long as it’s analogue), what film you use (35mm, 120, 110, etc., black&white or colour) or how it’s processed (C-41, E-6, x-pro, etc.).
• You must not simply Google the subjects online and shoot them from your computer screen, otherwise you’ll be disqualified and score zero points!
• I, buckshot, am in no way legally or morally responsible if, during the course of this race, you get punched by a stranger on the street, busted by the cops or break your neck falling off a ladder trying to get a really awesome telephoto aerial view of a neon-coloured rubber duck in a street gutter or any crazy-assed Lomo shit like that.
• I’m the Official Lomo Race Judge for this event, ‘cos I organised it, so I get the final word on any decision about the awarding of points, capiche? And no, I don’t care if your brother’s bigger than me and has a black belt in ball-breaking, ok?
You will score:
• 10 points for each of the 12 must-shoot subjects. (120 points for 12 shots, 110 points for 11 shots, 90 points for 9 shots, etc.).
• 20 points extra for getting all 12 of the must-shoot subjects (in addition to the 10 points for each one).
• 30 bonus points for getting the optional bonus shot.
• 30 points for posting your album to your Lomo home and including a link to it in the comments below this blog post by race finish time (18:00 London, UK time on Tuesday, 1 January 2013).
• 20 bonus points for being the first to upload your completed album to your Lomo home (with a link posted in the comments below this blog post to prove it – Remember to write the exact time in your comment too).
In addition to this, in my role as Official Lomo Race Judge I will assess all entries received by race finish and award:
• 20 points for the most original/inventive/wacky album.
• 20 points for the most technically proficient album.
• 20 points for the most trashy, lo-fi album.
If I’ve done the maths correctly, this means you can score a maximum of 200 points for uploading a complete album (all must-shoots plus bonus subject) by the race finish time, or 220 points if you are the first participant to do so. Thereafter, I will add the judge’s points, to reveal the grand winner. In the event of two or more participants sharing the highest score, I will award an additional 10 points for my favourite individual shot in the same-scoring albums, so there’s only one outright winner. Sound fair to you? Sounds fair to me. And because I’m such a fair guy, my own album (yes, I’m competing too, of course!) will be excluded from the Judge’s points, so is highly unlikely to win (boo hoo!).
All clear? In that case, ladies and gentlemen, remember to post “I’m in…!” in the comments box NOW, and I hope to see lots of you at the starting line on New Year’s Morning!
Love & bullets,
– UPDATE: The Race Is On…! –
Good morning and a very happy 2013 to all you bravehearted Lomographers who are up for this exciting New Year’s Day challenge!!! I hope last night was brilliant… but also hope that you can still see enough through your bloodshot eyes to take some pictures today ;-)
So here’s the list of subjects you should be aiming for. Most of them are pretty straightforward, some may be a little bit more challenging. Whatever the subject, use your creativity, imagination and Lomographic skills to make each one as original and interesting as possible – this might help you to win the Judge’s points.
The 12 must-shoot subjects (each worth 10 points)
1. Your local train-station sign, or any sign that shows the name of the town/village you live in.
2. You and your camera reflected in a mirror, shop window or other reflective surface – the more unusual the better.
3. A postbox, like the classic red ones on the streets of London, or whatever the equivalent is in your country.
4. A statue – any statue, your choice (but the more unusual the better).
5. A Mini car – preferably a real one, but a toy one, keyring or anything with the Mini logo on it will be acceptable too.
6. A female stranger on the street wearing a hat – the weirder the better! (Must not be a friend/family member – no cheating!)
7. A male stranger on the street with an unusual haircut, e.g. punky, spiky, razored… something like that. (Must not be a friend/family member – I trust you!)
8. A street entertainer (e.g. musician, living statue, fire-eater or other street artist).
9. A bus driver at the wheel of his/her bus.
10. A police car, ambulance or fire engine – preferably with its lights flashing, but without is good too.
11. Birds – this can be a whole flock of flamingos landing gracefully on a lake at sunrise (yeah, right!) or two pigeons crapping on a park bench – it doesn’t matter, but there must be at least two of them and they must be real birds (e.g. not ones in a poster/magazine/etc.).
12. Jesus – He’s not hard to find if you look in the right places… ;-)
Optional bonus shot (worth 30 points)
13. An abandoned supermarket trolley (shopping cart) in a river, forest, backstreet or anywhere except at a supermarket.
Go get ’em!
Good luck, guys and gals, and happy shooting. THE RACE IS ON – May the best Lomographer win…!
UPDATE 2: And the winners are…
OK, guys, here are the results, in reverse order of scores…:
5th place, with 100 points, goes to @sweetyyydreams for getting 7 must-shoot subjects and uploading her album on time.
4th place (joint), with 130 points, goes to @buckshot (Look, Mama – that’s ME…!) for getting 10 must-shoot subjects and uploading his album on time.
4th place (joint), with 130 points, goes to @stratski for getting 10 must-shoot subjects and uploading his album on time.
3rd place (joint), with 140 points, goes to @adash for getting 11 must-shoot subjects and uploading his album on time.
3rd place (joint), with 140 points, goes to @emkei for getting 9 must-shoot subjects, uploading his album on time and winning the Judge’s points for “Most trashy lo-fi album” (that’s a compliment, by the way…!).
2nd place, with 180 points, goes to @gauthierdumonde for getting 11 must-shoot subjects, being the first to upload his album on time and winning the Judge’s points for “Most technically proficient album” (sheesh, he used four different cameras, several different films, did artistic stuff with coffee and pencils, and transported a mobile development laboratory halfway across Belgium…!)
1st place, with a very impressive 190 points, goes to @kneehigh85 for getting 11 must-shoot subjects, the bonus subject (she was the only Lomoracer to get it…!), uploading her album on time and winning the Judge’s points for “Most original/inventive/wacky album” (you can’t get much wackier than comedy floppy hats, police horse-cars and nodding Jesuses , or whatever the plural is… :-).
Very well done all of you, for your guts, your stamina, your dedication to the art of Lomography, your creativity, your resourcefulness and your chutzpah, and also for sacrificing your precious New Year’s day to indulge the spontaneous whimsy of a fellow Lomographer… I’m sure glad you took part and helped me to have one of the best January 1sts I’ve ever had…!
It remains only for me, in my role as Official Lomo Race Judge, to officially crown @kneehigh85 as the 2013 New Year’s Day Lomo Race WINNER…!!! Well done, kneehigh – may this be just the first of many victories in 2013.
Lastly, I can now reveal that the Mystery Prize is… Yep, you guessed it already… a DVD of “Sex Lives of the Potato Men” (of course…!). @kneehigh85: Please PM me your address so I can ship it to you, ok?)
THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING PART, and I look forward to joining you in some more wacky Lomo adventures in the future, my friends…!
written by buckshot on 2013-01-01