Well, its my first attempt at Redscaling film and... it could have gone worse, right? lol
After reading the article about DIY redscaling by @sibux I decided to give it a try. What’s the worst that could happen, right? So I got an old expired roll of Kodak Gold 400 (exp. 2009) and took an old film cartridge from the lab and went to work. I taped the rolls together and wound them under the covers of my bed in my pitch-dark bedroom.
The next opportunity that presented itself, I took and loaded the film into my Minolta X-370 and went off to take the test roll. I wanted to see the reported deep blood-reds that redscale gives you when you expose it normally so I kept my camera set at 400iso. Might have been a mistake but I was going for proof of concept, not perfection.
And perfection was nowhere to be found on these. I got them back from the lab (my local Rite Aid) and I noticed tons of noise in the photos but I chalked that up at least somewhat to the bad scanner and the darkness of the shots. I think there was also an issue with the earlier ones due to some errant light getting in or the fact that my grubby mitts got on the film too. lol (see above)
I think next time I am going to try it at either one or two stops lower (200 or 100iso) and see if that gives me anything better. I kinda want to iron out some of the bugs before I step up to my new LOMO 50-200 Redscale. That, I will be using for my upcoming Arizona trip and I can’t wait.
So stay tuned, I’ll probably be revisiting this adventure soon.
See ya and Happy Snappin’
ps- here is a link to the rest of the album- Redscale Album